Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want more power!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Nov 13, 2001.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I have the stock 350 tbi in my 90 K5. I want something that is innexpensive and that will give me a significant increase in performance, what are my options? thanks for the help!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The first mod I think you should do is to get a free flowing performance exhaust system. A free flowing exhaust is the best way to get the maximum out of any future modifications you may want to do. Add will give you the most bang for the buck.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

4. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

What is a typical price to have someone change the gear ratio? Cost of parts and labor = _________ ( Just a rough estimate) I am thinking of getting a Ravin performance muffler from Midas but also have a Flowmaster that I am looking at. Any suggestions on mufflers?

Thanks, Jason

5. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

What is a typical price to have someone change the gear ratio? Cost of parts and labor = _________ ( Just a rough estimate) I am thinking of getting a Ravin performance muffler from Midas but also have a Flowmaster that I am looking at. Any suggestions on mufflers?

Thanks, Jason

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well for EACH axle you will probably be looking at a guestimate of $500 to regear. You have the cost of the R&amp;P= $150 (roughly, depending on brand), Install kit= $100 for a good one that includes all bearings, labor would typically be anywhere from $125 - 400 an axle. Just depends on the deals you can find around your area. As far as the muffler goes Flowmaster is good as well is MagnaFlow. I use MagnaFlow, it flows a little better then Flowmasters because it is straight throw, it also has a deep rumble to it, but I'm considering a FlowMaster just for the louder sound. I'm unfamiliar with the Ravin so I can't offer any advice on that.

89 K5 Silverado, 4", 33's, 3/4 ton axles
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well just an estimate but 4 wheel parts said they would do my front for just under $300 so i would say around $600 to do both front and rear give or take a few $ as far as mufflers i am running duel flowmaster's as well as alot of other people around this site

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Keep looking there is no such thing !
    innexpensive and significant performace, are not going to be found together !
    If you happen to stumble across it please be sure to let us know.
    Sorry to be the delerier of not good news.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The better the engine breathes, the more power it make. Free flowing exhaust, and intake. The two best things I ever did to my truck were true dual exhaust and MSD ingition. The MSD will help out alot too.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

get on the bottle [​IMG]
    $450 for a plate system up tp 175hp! [​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I second what these guys have said.

There is no cheap, significant improvement in performance aside from NOS.

The Ravin mufflers are LOUD, but not nasty sounding like a glass pack.

After the good exhaust system, the best bang for the buck would be a new intake manifold and cam, but that might require a new chip.

Other than that, for big power increases, there really isn't anything easier and better performing than forced induction! You can get a Holley supercharger for less than $1500.

As for gears, DO IT! this will make more of a difference than exhaust or a cam. It may be cheaper to just swap the axles, than to pay for new gears and setups. Maybe you can even get a little bit back from the junkyard for trading in your matched set (maybe...)

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

12. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

a cam upgrade will make a diff
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com>http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com</a>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by white_knight on 11/14/01 02:49 PM.</FONT></P>

13. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

well wat i see is the trendy and easy horsepower adder these days is all those stickers, they add at least i'd say 5 hp per sticker, so go and buy as many random stickers as u can, it doesnt matter if u've never heard of the company or if they specialize in Fiats, the more stickers the more horsepower. Also, if u add racing stripes and a spoiler the size of rosy odonnell you'll get an easy 25 hp.

phill

14. bowtie4466

bowtie4466 Registered Member

I have an '87 and I added 3 inexpensive things that gave me a mild, but noticible amount of HP: an open air intake K&amp;N air filter, a TBI spacer and dual exhaust. The combination of these things made a noticable difference. All together it cost me around $350.

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Think of your engine as an air pump. The more air you can move through it, the more power it will make. Adding an intake and headers will make a minimal improvement, since the restriction of the head ports and the valves is still in the way. Adding a hotter cam will make a nice improvement, while ading a cam and better flowing heads can make a shocking improvement in power. Forced induction is totally amazing, provided that the engine is capable of dealing with the additional power without self destructing.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

16. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

17. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    A noticable difference to you wallet($$$$$). You can feel it in the seat of your pants(Wallet$$$$).
    I am glad to here its working for you, thanks for sharing.

18. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Would true dual exhaust without headers still make a noticable difference? Headers can be a hassle, but I'm not totally against them.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ok...here you go...a drag racing 4wd K5
    tbi 350
    175hp NOS set-up
    5.13 gears front &amp; back
    29x12.5x15 M/T drag slicks
    dual exhasut
    mild NOS kustom ground cam
    helmet [​IMG]
    than just add 100 octane sunoco race gas slam in in 4w low, light 'em in the bleach box and HOLD ON! . [​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

20. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just have to find good deals on things. I got lucky today and got a set of ported and polished heads with 2.02 and 1.60 stainless steel valve, a performer TBI intake, 454 throttle body, and a banks ram air intake for $500. The heads havent been on a vehicle since being done, intake and throttle body are a month old, and the ram air is 3 months old. I bought them for a friend who owns another shop, he had them to put on his 87 k20 but put a 502 in it instead.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>