Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want my truck LIFTED!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JimmyJuneau, Feb 15, 2003.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I have owned my GMC Jimmy for close to four years now and its still at stock height. I have the blocks to do the rear but cant find the springs to do the front. And Im not that confident in lifting the truck myself. The shops around here want to charge me an arm and a leg. Any suggestions on where to find the springs at a decent price and how to lift the sucker!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Installing the lift isn't hard. I'm sure some members will be contacting you about springs. How high do you want to lift it ???

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Depends on how high you want it. If you keep it at 4 inches or less, you shouldn't have to do much more than change shocks, steering arm, and springs. It's not hard to do if you got the jacks and stands. Watch the for sale colum, I see springs for sale on there all the time. Anything over 4 inches and you will probably have to change brake lines, possibly shim the tranny, etc... What type of tires do you want to fit?

4. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Well Im thinking about 35 inch tires. If Used that size of tire would I have to trim the fenders for the rear tires? I dont mind triming up front abit cause my right fender is dented up. So if I only do a 4 inch lift I dont have to change the brake lines or steering arm?

5. ibrakeformud

ibrakeformud 1/2 ton status

im in the middle of lifting my truck 4 inches and i have to change my brake lines steering arm and shocks

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Join the Nor Cal Big Dawgs and I'm sure someone close to you will be willing to help you out. I don't know how to do jack as in this stuff, but if you need a welder I have one you can use, and am willing to help in other ways if I can... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I lifted 4" and did steering arm and hadta do the brake lines.

8. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

well i know with my 6 inch i had to get a new steering arm, but i still use stock brake lines its fine for now, but if you are going to do any flexing yes get longer ones, i just ran mine around the frame for now, and i have just as much after lift as i did before lift, installing them arent hard, but if you check out rough country they have a 4 inch lift with the arm and springs and blocks completer lift for like 300 bucks, that would be the best way to go, that way you know you have everything, as far as installing it, thats easy aslong as isnt not rusted like mine was, but i wont go there on ya, lift isnt bad though for sfa , hardest part is getting stock arm off, and the trick is a BFH and beat it like you stole it, after that its cravy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

On my 72, i had to do the steering arm and brake lines. The steering arm will come off really hard which is a pain, but i really recommend changing it. I used 4" trailmaster springs which lifted it about 6.5 inches but settled to 5.5, really rough until i got the V8 and front bumper on.

10. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

11. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

it's a bit of a drive from northern cali to alaska. way to be a team player and volunteer though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif