Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want some bolt on power for my TBI. HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chrisblazzer89, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Like the title says I would like some bolt on power for my 350SB. What can I buy to give my baby a lil more power? Im not looking to blow my engine just a lil more ummf.

I can dish out mabe $1000- $1500 max.
    Help me out

Please and thank you.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  2. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

Vortec heads, Edelbrock Performer Vortec Manifold, GM self aligning rockers, and a nice little torquey cam with under .480" valve lift. That would make some nice power. If you have a Q-jet, I would stick with it. If not, get one. :D

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I have a stock tbi 350SB.

4. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

Ah.....in that case. I don't THINK the bolt pattern is the same with Vortec heads. Someone else will have to back me up. From what I hear, the TBI motors are pretty sensitive to cam swaps too. Maybe someone else will chime in that knows more about the TBI motors. I'd run headers for sure, if you don't already have them. That should free up some power.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6. Bow-Tie-Boy

Bow-Tie-Boy Registered Member

Headers, TBI spacer, injector spacer, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and a high volume fuel pump. just a few extra pounds of fuel pressure will make the most difference out of all these, but it's not gonna cause you to burn the tires off. TBI's don't like cams unless you have the computer configured for the cam, and even then you can't get crazy. This is where I side with the "cabbage-rated" guys on the whole which is better. But I still love my "Fuel Infection" :laugh:

7. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got an induction kit from Jegs a while back, PM and i`ll try and find it for ya

8. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Find a BBC.

9. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about TBI, but would changing out your thermostat to a lower one help? Maybe run a little cooler. I know that holley makes some throttle body stuff maybe check them out.

10. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

save a little longer and go forced induction:D

seriously though, there are some guys on here that know quite a bit about TBI, may wabt to modify your title to include that

11. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

How about a NOS. A 150 shot sounds good.

12. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Actually you can use the Vortec heads on a TBI motor. I am considering doing this myself. Here's a pretty good article with info on the Vortec heads and at the bottom there's a part with part #'s on what is needed for the swap:

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/0405cct_vortec_cylinder_heads_small_block_chevy/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  13. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

pick up a vortec from the junk yard

for 600 bucks or less, get the gm parts and performance manifold for 300 ish, call turbo city for the rest and you'll be in business but you won't quite make the 1500 mark.

or . . . for fewer dollars, just call turbo city and stick with your stock engine and let them take away the guess work.

turbocity.com

14. 92k1500CO

92k1500CO Registered Member

I did the following - cost about $2,000, but that was having a shop do it since it was the middle of winter and I didn't want the truck down too long

edl 5894 spring kit
    edl 3702 cam
    edel 3704 intake
    summit g9014 shorty smog legal header
    aid 200-540 tbi spacer
    46mm TBI
    thermostat - 195
    timing set
    water pump
    custom 3" y pipe,
    94009 converter
    17769 dynomax muffler

That baby gets up and RUNS now, and hauls my horse trailer easily, even at the 6500ft altitude that I am typically running around at.

15. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take a look at cfm-tech.com There are some good articles that explain how to work your TBI, and of course, everything else you need for sale. A bit pricey for what I do with my rig, but if ya got the money to blow, looks like a good place to start.

16. RTMENT

RTMENT Newbie

I just put in the Edelbrock total power package in my 88 K5 and I love it. edelbrock even sends you a free chip to match your set up... I would guess around 375 H Next step is to install procharger and dual throttle body set up (custom) I live in Red Deer Alberta and all the parts intake cam heads full roller rockers headers tall rocker covers ( for the rockers to clear) and all gaskets and arp head bolt kit was under 3400.00 down there maybe a little cheeper need any info dont hesitate to ask..

17. sbyarlay

sbyarlay Registered Member

BBC Throtle body. Easiest/Cheapest way to get more air in. Keep the BB injectors and you've got more fuel too. Seen it run on a 92 burb. Good results for stock parts. Add headers and you cant get much better without cam or induction. Holley Projection Tb is the same bore size as BB. I run one. Like it alot.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want "Bolt on power" By that i am taking you dont want to open up the engine.
    So
    First. Headers and good exhaust. If you have to pass smog in Mass you will need 50 state legal. Doug thorley Try y headers or Edelbrock TES system both work good. if you still have the stock converter on it get a high flow cat.

Next TBI mods.
    Get everything on this pagehttp://marine-performance-parts.com/gmtbiperformance.aspx
    Also read this page http://www.cfm-tech.com/GM_tbi_tuning_tips.htm Read the links to articles in the left bottom of the page.

If you dont mind pulling the valve covers a set of 1.6 to one roller tip rockers will help out the stock cam a bit.

MSD blaster II coil.

These mods should run on your stock chip with an increase in fuel pressure.
    If you want a better chip get one from here. [URL]http://www.tbichips.com/truckmods.htm [B]Read the whole page[/B] Also ...ecommend you get:[URL]http://winaldl.joby.se/
    Its free except the cable.

That should pretty much blow your budget.

19. cdoggwsu

cdoggwsu 1/2 ton status

So you would recommend the headers and exhaust before any other TBI mods?

I had my y-pipe back exhaust redone last summer with a hi-flow cat, new piping and a flowmaster super 40 all in 3" but I'm still running the stock manifolds.

I'm trying to decide if I should just drop the $500 or so on the TES headers now or do some of the smaller cfmtech mods first and go from there.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  20. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you can't get the air out it won't matter how much you can get in.

I tend to work on the exhaust side of things first, partly cause its cheaper, and its nearly instant gratification ( cause exhaust usually gives you about 30-40 physocoligical horsepower:D)

So yes exhaust first then on to the bigger TBI throttle body spacer, chip etc etc etc