Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want this front bumper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

This would work perfectly for my 76 K5 [​IMG]

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is that a Road Armor bumber? Looks expensive /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's one you can get through Off Camber 4x4. I didn't check the price becouse I know I can't aford it right now. But that's the one I want !!!!!

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Hangs waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too low /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifIMO.

Yes that is a Roadarmor $$$$$

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yep, that's what that over-priced, over-sized, shiny, would-be-afraid-to-dent thing is.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yikes! Wouldn't have to invest in a snowplow if you got that one! </font color>

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't think it'd be to low with my 6" lift and some 36" tires. What do you think ????

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I guess it depends on what type of terrain you will be wheeling in. If you stay on flat level dirt or muddy trails you will be alright /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well you didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyways. that bumper is absolutely enormous, and I imagine that it is going to be super heavy too. Unless you're planning on using the truck as a battering ram I just don't know why you need something so huge.

Here's a pic of the bumper that is being built for me. Similar idea in a more minimalist design. Light tabs and all of that stuff are available too, but you can't have the tres cool soccer mom frenched in ones, for obvious reasons.

[​IMG] </font color>

10. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I think it sticks out 6 in too far...

For the kind of money they cost you could make several...

I made mine from 8 in c channel... not nearly so pretty but it doesnt stick out near as far and it &lt;with the winch&gt; weighs less than 200lbs... havent actually weighed it but didn't break a nut installing it either... I still need to add some d rings to call it done... then I'' put on a body lift and have to make another one.. Even if I make two more I will be under the admision price of the pretty ones from Road armor..

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll be mostly in the forest. I don't care if the bumper gets scratched, alittle black paint will fix that. Rock crawling just isn't my thing. I wouldn't mind a few rocks, but I'm not going to get hard core with it like alot of people like. I do like the look of that bumper with the built in lights, and where the winch is mounted.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like that one too. What would that cost ???

13. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Shaggy is that a Offroad Tech bumper? I called them a few weeks back and they said it would be sometime before the end of the year when they would have a bumper ready for the older GM trucks ie.,73-87. Did you order yours through them or are you having someone local make one like?

Would love to see it on your truck when you get it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That bumper is being prototyped by a freind of mine's company. It's not ready for sale yet and probably won't be until early next year. He is aiming for about a $500 price. Lots of options should be available such as high-lift brackets, front receiver, light tabs and such. the winch mount and uprights are CNC'd 1/2" steel, the tubes are 2" and 1.5" in either HREW or DOM tubing. I may have mine made with the hoop a bit higher to be a stinger. He's working on getting the programming done for the CNC'd parts now, I'm hoping to get the prototype on the truck sometime towards the end of the year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

15. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What's a stinger? Heard the word used many times, but I've never seen an example.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Here's a shot of Depdog's K5 with a stinger on it. Basically the tube just goes high enough so if you roll the truck the radiator is protected. </font color>

17. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

That almost looks like the one I built. I have always like that design. I used heavier material than what I can tell in that picture, mine weighs about 150 lbs, without the winch.
    [​IMG]

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I printed out a pic of this and went to a local welder. He said he can build me this bumper for $300.00 . I think I'll do that after I swap my axles. [​IMG]

19. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

DP_90K5 would you be interested in making one of those bumpers like yours for resale? I really like your bumper, very good design IMO /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey thanks, I put up a pic of a bumper on which my freind and I (mostly him) spent many hours designing and tweaking to make it look right, not sacrifice ground clearance, be fairly light and yet still be plenty strong for hard off-road use, and what do you do? Immediately steal the design, take it to someone else and undercut the price. Thanks a bunch, that'll teach me to share pre-production pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif </font color>