Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want to be a Police Officer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fordeater, Jan 17, 2007.

1. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Its true. Before anybody even thinks about any negative comments, I'm totally serious about this.

Anyways, I guess I'm looking for tips from cops on ways to get in. I know I have to go down and test, as well as the whole process, but is it easier to try going to a small town and trying, or should I just go down to the local PD and start the process.

Also, which is the most preferred department? State, city, or county?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Practice your donut eating skills...

3. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

4. fordeater

I've got that down pretty well. lol

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Get some bacon scented cologne...:D

6. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Excuse me miss, but do you know how fast you we're going???

[​IMG]

Yeh,...this guy could put down a few bacon flavered donuts...:D

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

In all seriousness I would get some lights and a siren and mount them to your truck and practice pulling people over, maybe write a few test tickets from the pages of last weeks TV guide and tazer a few folks to really get a feel for it...:haha: :haha: :haha: :D

8. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Exactly...and oh ya.........

Dont do this.......................

[​IMG]

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ahh Bubbas first day on the job,,,Ahh memories....:D

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Usually, hitting up the smaller, lower paid departments is a good way to start. What is the process down in Texas? Does one have to be certified before getting hired? You might want to hit up the state website, I think the agency is TCLEOSE or something along those lines. It will give you some knowledge, and sometimes they have job listings.

Does that one really need to be answered? County mountie all the way. We rock. We are revered throughout the land:D

So with that out of the way, why do you want to be a cop? It certainly can't be from the awesome work hours (I put in a 17 hour shift on Saturday), it can't be because you love being out in the sun (I don't think my 7 day stint saw a temp over 32 degrees).

What's the first thing you gonna think when it's 10 degrees, all you have on is your basic long sleeve uniform, no gloves, no hat and you have to keep your gun drawn on a car load of scrots? (I wait until things calm down then try to figure out how coming I'm not freezing my ass off)

What are you going to say to that person who you've just set off because they are the town muckity muck and you've just written them a ticket? (hasn't happened, but I've had some dozies, including the name of Jesus getting invoked. I don't write many tickets as the city and state boys, so I'm pretty sure they got some whoppers)

Are you going to laugh or get pissed off when that person who just ran the red light tells you that no one else was coming? What are you going to say to that truck driver who starts whining about the red light ticket and tells you that he couldn't get stopped? (Laughed at the first one, second one I told he should have been doing the speed limit so he could have stopped.)

How are you going to react when you have to assist with an accident on the highway and the deceased is a 17 year old kid that got body parts scattered all over the highway? On top of that, what are you going to do when it comes time to remove the body of one of the area's most respected citizens who died when he drove in front of a train?

How are you going to do when dad comes into the office to pick up the personal effects of his 20 year old son when the day prior, you spent the better part of your shift in a field with his son after he was found with half his head all over the field after eating a shotgun?

I doubt anyone here can answer them and I sure as hell can't answer them, but that's just a sampling of things (except for one, I don't write many tickets and prefer to keep my antics to nighttime hours:D ) I've come across in my small town, BFE county job.

Why do you want this? Is it a calling? Is it the prestige? You'll be thinking prestige when you have just taken the 14th call of the week for the out of control teenager and the only agency you can turn to for assistance doesn't do a ****ing thing to help you out.

A lot people say they wouldn't do this job. This is probably the easiest job I have ever done. There's a lot of stuff though you have to keep up on. There is also a lot of drama that occurs, just not only on the street, but within the department. How do you handle that? Do you become the center of attention when it comes to the drama, or do you attempt to keep yourself out of it?

11. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Poor basterd was looking for some advice :o....this is actually good on the job training though...your gonna have to put up with alot bigger A-Holes then me and 'fumes if you do go into law enforcement.

You seem to have a good sense of humor so that will help. Bubba Ray and his posse of fellow officers will be on their way soon to give you some real world insight. Good luck, it takes a special breed to do that all day long.:bow:

oh well, bubba types fast...he's already here.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Oh wait, homeboy is in Washington.............

Still, check out the state's website.:D

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

And our job of keeping this TTT is done, thank you and good night...:D BTW what was Bubbas response time to this post, damn cops never around when ya need one...:p: :wink1:

14. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

An hour and 25 minutes....$#!T,...I would of been dead by now if this was a real emergency...:rolleyes:

15. fordeater

Well Bubba, i've wanted to be a cop since I was a little kid. I know that is a pretty common answer, but its the truth. I think it would be a lot of fun for me. I love being outdoors, love driving, and I love interacting with people. Granted these people won't be too happy about getting pulled over.

Seems like police officers either get ALOT of respect, or none at all. I obviously want the respect, and I want to be in a position where I can help people and stop some illegal activity.

I want a gun, a uniform, and a car with the red and blues. Like every job, i'm sure a police officer has some bad sides to it. But to me, the good outweighs the bad. So, to me, this is what I want to do. I actually used to dream of being a Texas State Trooper when I was a kid, and eventually work up to a Texas Ranger. Anyways, I just want to make this dream a reality.

16. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Chuck Norris can unscramble an egg..............can you do that???

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

From 0 to Chuck in 60 seconds...:haha: :haha: :haha: :bow:

18. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Now thats a little better response time...huh, huh,.....right!

19. fordeater

I sure appreciate you guys keeping this at the top. :D

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Hey now ****face, I was just dragging myself out of bed when this got started. We get to go to bed sometimes. Contact the dayshift if you want to lodge a complaint:D