Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want to Convert a 54 Chevy to 4wd (have ?'s)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Sep 21, 2005.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Where can I find some tech on how to swap a 4wd drivetrain into a 54 model chevy 2wd? :thinking: The 54 we have is 2wd. is there any special problems, or is it a more or less bolt and go swap??

Thanks.
    Brandon

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  2. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing to a '58 F100 a few years ago. Hangin' the fron axle was EAZY, just weld perches on in the right spot and fab up some steering links.
    It's gona take some :grind: and some :weld: to get the transfercase and shifters in but it's no to bad. Just make sure U keep the engine/tranny lined up when U make the mounts. It might be a good idea to use a divorced 'case if U have a good tranny allready. Then just get shafts made. Depending on what U use for the 'case U may have to do som mods to the floor of the cab to get it to fit. And ofcorse U will have to cut a new hole for the shifter.

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

#1 SEARCH :D

Clicky

Here's someone who did it.

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

that'd be my vote for the easiest way to do it. Put it on a later model 4x4 frame.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Ditto

My my buddy had a 67 chevy step side, on a 4WD K5 frame. His dad's cousin actually owned it first and did the swap, back in the very early 80's. I think that's the best way to go.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd swap chassis too...

I helped a friend put a 1956 Suburban on a 1971 Suburban K-20 4x4 chassis about 15 years ago..it worked out well,not that much of a hassle to plant his body on the later chassis--just had to move the body mounts on the frame a bit,and extend them to reach the 56's body mount locations..and all the usual stuff like shifters,etc..-- the biggest hassle was putting the power brake booster setup on his firewall( his master cylinder was under the floor originally!)...one advantage to using a later chassis is you get power steering and brakes,and newer axles..lets you swap big blocks and later beefier trannies in easier too.. :D

I've done some the other way using the old 2wd frame,and cutting off all the spring hangers and such off a donor 4x4 frame--it gets WAY too involved and its costly to get every trinket from a junkyard..a few of the trucks we did never drove down the road to our satisfaction,and we wished we had just bought a 4x4 and swapped the good cab and bed from the 2wd onto the 4x4 frame..done that several times since,its definately the way to go--still a lot of work though!..It MIGHT be easier to just add a front diff and use a divorced case,depending on how the 54 is set up... :crazy: