Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want to cry

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big94gmc, Dec 27, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I think I need support everywhere I can muster it, so I'm posting up here to my CK5 family. I don't want to get too much into it, 'cause I don't want to think about too much detail about the matter. Needless to say, my sweetie isn't doing well.

As some of you know, I recently had to take my dog Cassidy into the vet because she suddenly became 'gimpy' (no muscle control or strength in her back half). Find out she has a ruptured disc in her spine which is putting pressure on her spinal cord and slowly making her paralyzed. I rush her up to a neurosurgeon up in Birmingham, AL, where they discover the source of the problem, and she has the surgery on the 19th. This drains every bit of my savings account, and puts me in a position where I'm now selling everything off the truck that isn't bolted on. I'm told the surgery is a success, and after a lengthy recovery process, she'll be fine. But the morning after I pick her up, she's not okay. I take her back into another local animal hospital (I came up to my folks house in NoVA for Christmas - lucky there are a few animal hospitals in this area) on Christmas Eve night, and find out she has severe pneumonia. When Santa was hitting the roof tops, my Pop and I were in a doctors examining room. She had a temp of 105.8* that night. Today I think it was down to 103.4*, but she isn't eating, and she won't start feeling better if she doesn't start eating. The doc was saying stuff about a feeding tube, and all sorts of other stuff, but I wasn't really paying much attention - and I don't have to make those decisions yet. Everything is day by day, and it sucks. I'm being my usual self - I'm worried and scared I'm going to loose my child, but I'm hiding it all on the inside.

If I lose her, I don't know what I'll do.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man thats crazy
    sorry to hear that, i really hope she gets better, but remember as much as you love her, be sure she doesn't suffer

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sorry to hear about your dog man, especially at this time of the year.

i was thinking the same thing the first time i read this post, but couldnt think of a nice way to put it.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sorry to hear about that..

I love my animals too,and know how bad it hurts to lose one.....

I'll say a prayer for your dog...good luck!..:crazy:

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

wow man, sorry to hear its gotten worse :( What ever happens I hope she gets out of pain soon and either fully recovers, or if you have to part with her for her sake, I hope you're able be strong and pull through. I would NEVER want this to happen to my dog, I can only imagine your pain. Good luck and I wish you and your dog the best.

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is terrible. I hate to say it, but I agree with the others - don't let her suffer needlessly. I hope that she is getting better as the day goes on.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pneumonia_management.html

This is a link for pet pneumonia. Keep a good eye on her, follow the vet's advice. She may need to taken back for IV fluids but that is fairly common. She'll be okay - just keep it together and take each day as it comes. It may be a few weeks before she is feeling better.

I know exactly how you feel both emotionally and financially. Just do the best you can. Your welcome to pm if you'd like to chat about it. We've had many pups and kitty's over the years, very rarely have we had one with perfect health. We have gone the distance with each one, we gave our last sick kitty home IV's for over a year (kidney disease). It can be a horrific emotional drain and sometimes it helps to talk with people that have had similar experiences.

Keep your spirits up, don't give up.

8. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Guys, I'm not putting her down unless there's no other option. I don't even want to think of it. I just spent four grand to fix her ruptured disc in her spine, and now she's already racked up a two grand bill (and rising) at this hospital for the pneumonia care. She's been in the vet hospitals care since Christmas Eve night when I took her in, and probably will be for the next few days. There's no way in hell I know what's best for her, other then it's best for her to be in the care of people who know what they're doing until she's 'back to normal'. I visited with her again this morning, and she looks perkier (but not by much), but still has a high fever, and won't eat. They're going to start feeding her through a syringe today to start getting some calories into her. Ironic, but she needs food to get better, but she feels so bad she doesn't want to eat. As long as she's fighting, I'm not giving up on her. I bought my house so she'd have a place to run around in, and I built my backyard for her. And I'm building my trail rig to accommodate her so she can ride along comfortably. She is my child, what can I say....

9. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

She'll be fine, pnuemonia just takes a very long time to clear. Even in people it takes forever to get rid of it.

Good to hear she's feeling a bit better.

10. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I cannot tell you how bad I feel for you. I love my dog and would do anything for him as well. I will keep you both in my prayers.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

go ahead and cry brother, it will release a little of the tension.she is your kid. i felt the same way about my rotts.hell they picked this house.:laugh: when i got tired of my dad loosing them while i was at work( man that is stressfull not knowing where they are),i started looking for a crib. they went everywhere i did,and when we got here they both ran in and layed down.after all the other places this one was the only one they acted like they allready lived here.i was like OK,this is the one.my best friend MIKE who i got my rotts from spent $1400.00 on my dogs dad just to find out he swallowed a corn cob!!!the vet thought the spot on the xray was cancer.WTH??

12. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

sorry to hear about your dog... Sounds like your having the worst of luck here lately

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We know how you feel. Here a while back we had a couple of Heeler pups that got parvo. We spent much more than we had to get them fixed up. Thankfully the vet was understanding and let us pay it off over time.

Keep it up!! No one should die early.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, that's heartwarming to hear how dedicated you are. It sounds like you're taking good care of her, I hope it goes well. :(

15. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Thanks, man....she's my baby, what can I say. Anybody who's ever met her knows she's just about the sweetest, most laid-back dog ever - and I'm not exaggerating. I think think there are a couple guys on the 'board here who've met her, and know what I'm talking about. I mean, in the two years I've owned her, I think she's barked (maybe) four times. She's great with everybody, gentle around kids, playful and cute all the time, responds quickly to commands - she's the perfect dog, I swear. She's worth fighting for, and from the looks of things, it looks like I'm choosing her over building a trail rig....

16. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, I hope she's doing better. My dog has seizures and is on daily meds, I know It's shortening her life I just give her my best love every single day. Hang tough, your dog is lucky to have a great owner.