Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want to get a dog......Deposit placed!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Col_Sanders, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Anyone here have any experience with Mini Australian Shepherds? I am looking at those and also border collies but open to suggestions. I want a small to mid size dog that can be a great companion, is smart, and playful. I will buy it as a puppy and it will be living with my ferret and probably my wife's cat.

Title changed for the pervs:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I'm gonna have some Border Collie pups here before to long.

3. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

My ex's brother had a boarder collie, that dog was friggin cool. Smart as hell and super easy to train.

4. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I have an austrailian shepard mix. Coolest dog ever. Go for it.

5. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I understand everyone saying how smart and cool these dogs are... Cause they are. However, you need to understand a few things. These dogs are smart enough that they get bored, and if they don't have enough exercise, and mental challenges they will tear everything you own to shreads. Not because they are bad, but because they are bored.

SO... Think long and hard about your lifestyle. Are you gone all day with little time to spend 'entertaining' your dog? If so, get a different dog. Are you an outdoorsy, active person who likes to run, play and generally be active all the time? Then this is the dog for you.

You should also be ready to include some type of dog activity in your life. Perhaps Agility, or FlyBall, or Herding, or something that is fun for you, but specifically geared to allow your dog to be challenged. OR... and the very least, LONG LONG LOOOOOONG runs and walks E V E R Y day.

Don't get a dog cause it's cool, get a dog that fits your lifestyle. Be fair to the animal.

Also, skip the mass breaders. There are enough unwanted pets in the world. Instead look to a general or breed specific rescue society. Lots of good animals are out there that were just mismatched for the home they were in.

Good Luck. Remember that dog ownership is a responsibility.

6. Col_Sanders

I know about them tearing everything up because they get bored. I will be moving Key West here in a week. I am pretty sure most of my time is going to be spent outside. A companion would be nice.

I am looking at breeders online, but most of them are in the midwest. I will probably have to hit one of them up on my next trip to Dallas.

7. bigbluesuburban

That's great that you are aware and ready for the challenges that come with owning such an excellent dog. And I tell this to EVERYONE who is getting a new dog/puppy... Go to some training classes. I don't care how many dogs you have owned, I don't care how good you are/were with training your other dogs. Go get some help. There are people who spend their entire lives dedicated to dog behavior and training. No matter how much you think you know, they know more. And I am speeking from experience here as well. I don't know that me and my Schipperkee would have the relationship we do now if it weren't for the trainer I went to.

Good luck and ENJOY!!!

8. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a Sheltie(little Collie type dog). He's about 10 years old and has been a great dog. Good with the kids, smart, doesn't poo in the house. Barks when he needs to, but stays quiet most of the time. I'd recomend them.

9. Col_Sanders

I have really considered and would like to get a rescue animal. I just can't get rid of the ferret. I think bringing up the puppy with the ferret is better than hoping whatever dog I pick up isnt going to try to make a meal of my little stinker.

10. bigbluesuburban

I really really believe that you can find a rescue dog that can cohabitate with your ferret.

This is an excellent time to include a trainer/behaviorist into your search and ulimately your integration of the two pets. I know if I were you, I would do this. And when I introduce a new dog into my home, I will definately get the same trainer involved that I used when I received Skip.

The old addage, 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks' is totally BS. I believe leadership (pack leadership) is the key to a healthy home for you and your animals.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You sick pervert. :rolleyes: :doah: :D :haha:

12. Col_Sanders

Pass the peanut butter when youre done.:D

13. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

My buddy has one it is very hyper. Great dog though.

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

how do you explain GTD then????:haha: :haha:

15. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

Aussies very a bit in size. An average dog is 45-65 pounds. We have a great Aussie (Guinness) and have others in the immediate family. We also know several people that have "mini-aussies". Some of the minis are almost the same size as the regular Aussies but don't seem to have nearly the same Aussie personalities.

My suggestion would be to look at the regular Aussies too. They are VERY VERY smart. But they take to training like you would not believe. As long as they know what you expect from them they are wonderful.

Here is a quick picture. You can see the difference between our Aussie and our Hybrid. They love to be together, but have differing opinions. (both have full access to the dog door)

[​IMG]

16. Col_Sanders

Nice lookin dogs!

I have seen some of the minis are pretty big. How do you mean their personality is a lot different than the big ones?

17. Xtremjeepn

Thank you. After LOTS AND LOTS of training they are very well behaved too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Col_Sanders

So, I just put a deposit down on this little guy. He is just over 2 weeks old now. The breeder is about 6 hours away from me, but I am going to go check him out this weekend. I ended up going for a full size Aussie instead of a Mini.

Rusty 1.JPG

Rusty 2.JPG

Rusty 3.JPG

19. Xtremjeepn

Very nice!!!! Congratulations.!!!!! Good Choice!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Nice looking dog. We were talking about getting a German Short Hair Pointer for a little bird hunting. Would be nice to have a good water dog out here.