Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want to know what you think about my drive train idea...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smountain02, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Smountain02

Smountain02 Registered Member

Hey guys hows it going? This is the first time that I am posting a thread on Colorado K5.I live in San Jose CA... And I bought a 1986 K5 Blazer, and soon found out that i need a whole new drive train. Everything is stock right now. I lost 3rd and 4th gear and the stock 350 is a dog! I want to rip it all out and put in a 6.5L TurboDiesel with a 700R4. I need new drive shafts since i lifted it using Tuff Country's 6" EZ springs front and rear leaving me about an inch short in front and about 3inches in the rear so my T-Case leaks real bad because it does not seal properly (hell everything on it leaks). It also has a set of 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials also. So it looks good from the outside with the lift and tires but needs a lot of TLC to get her up and running again. Any suggestions as far as how i should go about getting the swap done? Who should i use? What am i looking at cost wise roughly? Help me out!! Thanks for any feed back i get from you guys. My goal is to have 400hp /400lbft Torque after upgrading the turbo and doing what ever else is needed.

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, rumor has it that the chevy diesel's are dogs befor ethe duramax.

But lets see what others have to say.

My parents live in fremont, so maybe i can see your truck some tday!

Anyways, im faded rite now...so ill shut up :doah: :haha:

3. Smountain02

Thanks for the heads up

Yeah man if you wanna check it out some day let me know. I have a lot of big plans but of course that also means big money which i dont have right now... so you know how that goes. As far as the Diesel's go i am really looking for the low end torque and the possiblities for lots of HP. Im not too worried about how fast it goes or anything. Have fun drinking away man, wish i could say i was doing the same. Take it easy

Spencer

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yah, the older diesels i don't knwo much about. But i know that they don't normally make that much power, even after mods.

Unless you are going diesel for fuel economy, maybe a 383 stroker rebuild of that stock 350 would be a good option.

I'm up in davis rite now, and taking full advantage of the fact that school doesn't start til the end of the month.

Anyways, don't take my suggestions as definite answers, more knowledgable ppl will chime in any moment.....

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

6.5 TD is a decent choice as it is a bolt in, since the 6.2 was available from the factory.

as for the 700R4, you dont want one behind a diesel. 4L80E or a TH400 are the only ways to go for automatics.

6. Smountain02

How come no 700r4?

Thanks for the heads up about the 700R4 not going with the Diesel... but why would i not want the overdrive.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

IMO, don't use the TH400 or 4L80E for a diesel... The TH400 ruins your economy at the opposite end of the spectrum from what your axle ratio favours. The 4L80E can't ever make up its mind what gear it wants to be in.

Manual trans all the way. :waytogo:

Salvage a 92-93 6.5TD since it will still be a mechanical engine and won't suffer the PMD and IP problems

8. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

I hate to confuse you.. but I don't think all 700R4s are bad with a diesel.. B&M transmissions are supposedly beefed up. The old weak points in them are supposedly taken care of. I bought one not to long ago and it was running well when I was driving my truck. Shifted really nice. But I havn't been drving my vehicle for awhile so I can't give you a longterm recommendation.