Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want to lift a 85 3/4 ton Suburban to fit 40" tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85burban, Feb 3, 2003.

1. 85burban

85burban Newbie

I want to lift a 85 3/4 ton Suburban to fit 40\" tires

1)Well, the first quetion would be, how much lift? I would like to include a 3" body lift into the overall lift, so I guess I need to know how much suspension lift to go with a 3" body lift.

2) How much trimming would be needed on the fenders?

3) are there any other things to worry about that a suspension kit wouldn't include?

4) which brand is recommended? I would like to get new springs to replace the old one.

I didn't have too much sucess with the search

thanks!

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: I want to lift a 85 3/4 ton Suburban to fit 40\" tires

Depends on what kind of wheeling you do. For instace I rock crawl with my burb, so I stayed with a 4" suspenion lift and put 38.5s under it. I am not a fan of body lifts, but thats up to you. If you play on the rocks, I recomend a 4" tuff country lift, and your body lift, and lots of cutting. If you play in the mud then you want to be taller, so 8-10" lift would be better to get the body and frame away from the mud.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. 85burban

85burban Newbie

Thanks! All we do is mud, so keeping the center of gravity low is not a concern. so i could get away with a 6" susp lift and a 3" body lift?

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yes you could get away with 6 + 3. Also since it is just mud, I would reccomend a little stiffer lift than tuff country. I would go with a skyjacker lift. Anything bigger than a 6" suspenion lift you will have to extend the driveshafts.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

On the 6", you will have to lengthen the front driveshaft and possibly modify the exhaust. The rear shaft, I'm not too sure of, but mine is perfect with my 4" lift. The suspension kit might not include the steering arm and brake lines...it all depends on the kit. Some kits are taller than advertised, I actually got 5.25" out of my kit when it's a "4 inch" kit. Skyjacker is not a bad option, ride quality is in between Tuff Country and Superlift.

6. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

If you get 3" body lift- and play in mud- GAP GUARDS GAP GUARDS GAP GUARDS!!!! my friend nearly blew his engine in the mud the other day without them, and has the worst rust on his exhaust manifold. I'm warning you for your own sake, chevies are notorious for having massive gaps from body lifts.

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

6+3 will work perfectly with a little trimming. I have 39.5's with that combo. Heres a pic [​IMG]