Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i want to rebuild my own !!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nicshorse, Apr 30, 2003.

1. nicshorse

nicshorse Registered Member

who has the best manual/video for rebuilding my own transmissions. i am a beginner and i don't know the first thing about them except for where to check the dipstick.for this reason i really need something that caters to the beginner. anyone have any experience with this?

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

From the impression I get from you saying you are a beginner, your best bet is to have it rebuild somewhere and watch their every move while asking questions and taking notes.

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with Waxer on this.There is alot of parts in there you get one wrong you just pissed your time and money
    away and have to start over or have it done.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Bah. If you find a recommended video, buy it and watch it. You'll decide if you can handle a rebuild or not. FWIW ATSG sells rebuild manuals, but you can get the same info out of a GM service manual for the appropriate year. IMO a video is worth more than the manual...pictures can only show so much, usualy from one angle, while the video makes the whole process MUCH clearer. Even learned a time saving trick for one tranny I did. Unfortunately the tape is on (permanent?) loan, so I can't tell you who made it. If I find out, I'll let you know.

They pay guys without high school diplomas to rebuild these things, I bet you can do it too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One piece of advice though, see if you can't find a local tranny shop that does a LOT of work, and hopefully has a parts counter and many technicians, before attempting your rebuild. From my experience, the parts counter guys will get to know you the first rebuild or two (smashed bearings and what not : ) and they will also know a friendly technician that might be able to give you advice if you get stuck, or do a bit of work that you can't do yourself easily (the lo-reverse clutch in a 350 for instance) if you kick them a $5 bill or something.

Believe me, it's worth it to pay someone to do SOME jobs with the right tools instead of trying to do them yourself. Bushing driver set was the one thing that I could have used on all my tranny rebuilds. Got away without one, but ruined a few bushings in the process.

5. nicshorse

well , i have always been a do it yourselfer. i build machine guns from parts and i haven't had any blow up yet . ijust figure that if a person wants to learn something bad enough he will learn it. here is an example of why i want to start rebuilding my own stuff:three years ago i had a 92 chevy pickup. it blew up two rear ends.this was just going to and from work. after one bill for 500 and another bill for 1200 i got rid of the truck.if a rear end costs that much to fix then i can only imagine what a transmission would cost.

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i build machine guns from parts and i haven't had any blow up yet .

[/ QUOTE ]

If your building machine guns, you really ought to keep that to yourself. I'd hate to see you land in Federal prison. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you're online, THEY can find you. Take care. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. nicshorse

i'm all legal. i DON'T want to land in federal prison. i just can't make them fully automatic or posess the parts to make them that way.i won't go into all the details but it is all very legal.

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Well right on then. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just would hate to see ya become another victim of Uncle Sam's stupid gun laws. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, the company that produced my video is "Technical Video" of all specific names they could choose.

Hope that helps in some way!

BTW, my 700R4 stock rebuild cost $1500 8 years ago. (I was on the road, and couldn't do it myself, and had no time to shop around) My own rebuild on a 2004R two years ago, with many "upgrade" parts, came in at under $700.