Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want to run Humvee wheels on my K5 - Will this work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JC_, Jan 11, 2007.

1. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

By reading /searching here I believe I have it figured out. Do I?

My situation is based on a M1008 Dana 60 Front, matching 14FF rear and a set of 12 bolt Humvee wheels.

For the front:
    I can buy a 1 ton 4WD Front Disc Brake Rotor for a DRW Pick Up truck and the fronts wheels and tires (assume tire size is not an issue) will work with this simple mod.
    Duralast Part Number 5564 or equivilent

For the rear:
    I need to convert the drums to Disc - using a kit like: http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/14FFdisckit.htm

and then add two inch spacers like: http://www.offroadoverstock.com/store.cfm?Product_ID=8on6.5&page=details.cfm&cartaction=none&thisrow=2&action=list&criteria=156&startrow=1&mystartrow=1&maxrows=10&cat=32&man=&stay=&afid=&searchcat_id=&itemprice=&searchfield=&searchman_id=&boolean=OR&var1=&var2=&var3=&return_product_id=&makeid=&modelid=&modelyear=

Is it just this simple?

Thanks for the help, I pick my wheels / tires up tomorrow. :D

2. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Are those spacers 139 each? or per pair?

Anyways, yeah you can use drw front brakes, but for the rear I believe if you want to use the 14bff your gonna need 4" spacers to match the front DRW width, or you can use a dana 70 HD which will be nearly the same width as the front DRW 60.

Someone else will chime in here with what the different widths are

3. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

I havev no idea, I was thinking per pair but now that you mention it... :doah:

My budget has me pretty much stuck with the 14bff that came with the m1008. 4" seems like a lot for a spacer but seems logical considering the stagger..

4. muddermilitia

If it is each I really have to consider my wheel options because I was going to go with the 2" spacers all around and H1s.

Also as for measurements I think a srw 60 is about 70" wide the drw is 75" or 76" the srw 14bolt is 67" van 14bolt is 70". I think the dana70HD is 73". My brother bought a 70HD yesterday so Ill measure it next time I see it.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Look in the vendor section for the disk brake brackets form Gravelmaker.
    I run the same design as those except mine were from SKY and I paid over 2x Gravelmakers price.

6. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

for the price of those spacers you could get your H1s recentered IMO... and it would be done right

7. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

I've got a DRW 60 up front and a 14 bolt with 4" spacers in the rear. My front and rear tires match up right on as far as width goes, go with the 4" spacers.

Matt

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You could recenter them for about the same price I paid for the spacers. I chose the spacers for a few reasons.

-Cheaper to get new rims if I ever bend one..it happens to the Hummers more than you would think.
    -I like the look of the Hummers not recentered.
    -Can still run stock rims if needed, just remove the spacers.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Just some food for thought, not trying to sway anyone in either direction. I say do whatever you want with your wheels etc.. but to touch on readymix's three points:

* If a wheel get's bent, more often than not it will be the outer ring, and that can be replaced just as easy since the recenter takes place on the rear half of the H1. So, you could still buy an un-recentered H1, and use the outer portion.

* I too preffer the original look, un-recentered, so no arguement there. :thumb:

* Even with recenters you can still swap over to stock rims, and you don't even have to remove anything.. except the H1's. :wink:

As for the H1's getting bent, I chose to add rockrings for an additional 30.00 per wheel. And for another 4.00 per wheel, I'm using #4 1/2" re-bar rings on the back. Of course, if roackrings are installed, then there is a little more to do if it manages to get bent. Another 30.00 for another install on the new outer. But, the chances of it getting bent are probably a lot less too.

Example pics.

IMG_0920_sized.jpg

wheels 002 3.jpg

10. muddermilitia

So im wondering, where I would go to get rims recentered?

11. txfiremank5

I had mine done at Creative Engineering Off Road, in east Texas. But, I only had them done to make sure the runout was addressed since they would see street duty. If you're only going to be running them on the trail then you can easly do it yourself. I would recommend having them done, if they will see hi speeds.

But, in your neck of the woods, I have no idea where you could have them done. :dunno:

12. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

It was a set of two. I recevied them 3 days after I ordered them.

13. JC_

JC_ Registered Member

I got the Gravelmaker units in yesterday. I have the wheels and tires - all I need now is to get it done. Next weekend I think.

For those looking for wheels / tires:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUMVEE-TIRES-RIMS-Goodyear-Wrangler-RTII-36x12-5x16-5_W0QQitemZ140080827651QQihZ004QQcategoryZ66482QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not 12 bolts but the price is right. I am meeting him in Indy next weekend (free delivery) if everything goes right to pick up a spare set.

14. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

As for the talk of bending rings and such the 12bolt hummer is a total different animal than the 8bolt. The 8 bolt has a ring that bolts onto the front of the wheel. The 12bolt is the exact opposite. Havent ever seen a recentered 12bolt in person so I couldnt tell you any more. Not sure if the recentering envolves the front of the 12bolt or not. Just my thoughts.:confused:

15. UPS

UPS 1/2 ton status

That guy is wrong when he says they have 1/2" (.500") tread when new. They really have 23/32" (.719") tread when new, I called a Goodyear dealer and they actually measured one for me. Hope this helps.

Mike

16. txfiremank5

A recentered 12 bolt looks much like a recentered 8 bolt. heres an example pic of a recentered 12:

[​IMG]