Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I want to stroke my TBI350-have questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by paveslave, Oct 18, 2003.

1. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

I am going to rebuild my engine as it has 145k on it and I need to replace my 700r4. I'm considering stroking it to a 383 with a 30 over bore. I still need reliability as it is a daily driver. I would like to get another 150k before having to rebuild again. Is this too much stroke for reliability? Should I go for something inbetween? I want more torque but I still want to maintain reasonable gas milage (currently 11 - 13 mpg). Where can I get a quality stroker kit thats not going to hurt my wallet too bad? I've seen kits anywhere from $500 to $1500. Any opinions, experiences, info would be apreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, trying to remember from when i was thinkin of a 383, but your engine is a 1pc rear main seal, i believe. Anway, again, trying to remember back, the only stroker type crank for a 1pc rear main seal is a the GM crank, and it is $$$. But then again it gets its entire 383 out of crank stroke, no boring necesary, so if you bored it .030 over it would be a what? 388 or something. Research the one pc rear main seal some more, dont really remember.

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The reliability depends on a few things, compression, componet balancing, valve train. a 383 is a great motor if built right.........

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Many companies make a 383 crank for 1 piece seal. Scat, eagle are 2 that come to mind very easily.

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a 383 that was professionally built. Scat crank, and rods, Vortec heads, LT1 cam, Edlebrock multi-point fuel injection,and a stock computer w/a modified chip.

I have had it a year and a half and it has performed flawlessly, getting 12+ mpg around town and 15-16 on the road, all depending my ability to keep my foot out of it.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The edlebrock multi-point fuel injection, is this the one that uses the original TBI but without the upper half with the injectors? How easy was it to install? Is it on your 90 jimmy? How well does the computer like the extra cubes and cam profile now with the new chip? What chip did you use or did you have one custom burned? Sorry for all the questions but I am going to do the same thing sometime soon and would like to know first hand from someone who has done it.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Also....Did you open it up a bit to make it breathe a bit better???? The induction system that is....

8. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into this too for my 1990 K5. PAW has great stroker kits. I'm getting one with a seasoned shortblock and am going to build it up then just swap motors once its ready. Expect to pay $2500-$4000 or more to build up the 383 though /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif