Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i wanted to cry yesterday...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazeonchevy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

because the only thing holding my front end on the truck is about 2" of metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i cant believe i didnt see this... i feel so stupid. me and my dad are going to weld it back. then either make a brace or buy the ord brace....and make pieces i guess to go across where its messed up... i saw that ord also offers these so we might get them too if we decide i should buy their brace... this sucks because this is my dd... because i am just a kid. so im driving my moms old caprice around for now. i hate feeling stupid. :mad:..i had one of those moments where your so pissed you dont know weather to cuss reallll loud or punch something..so i did both.i hate being young...least i had enough sense to just punch the tire. instead of my friend that punched a wall and broke his hand because his lift was messed up. :doah: ..... so do yall have any advice for this project?. i read the articles for the brace and the weld on pieces. and was wondering if there was anything else that i need to worry about. and im not asking for a step by step, tell me everything post... just advice is all. im seriously pissed off right now so i dont want to go mess things up any worse.
    Thanks. i had to vent somewhere.:o -Sam-

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

daaaaaaaaamn thats the worst ive ever seen!! i have the ord and its great but i just have litle cracks at the holes my dad is a welder for like 40 years now and he says its very repairable, just weld it on both sides and plate the inside with 1/4 inch plate with holes in the middle for more welding surface
    sort of like
    _______
    [0__0__0]

do you know what i mean?
    then the ORD brace outside and maybe then the other ORD brace too! seriously thats gotta get anything you can hold it together with
    i hope one of you is a very good welder though

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

:eek1: i think its time for a new frame rather then fix it

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

geeeez...well hopefully your dad is a good welder cuz that area is under a good bit of stress (as you can see).

no you have no excuse not to buy the ord brace.

5. blazeonchevy

i was thinking about that.. but i dont have enough money to do that right now.. and my parents cant really help me much on this one. they do all they can but money is short around here. i make barely over minimum wage, so its hard.and they pretty much ran out of money fixing my brothers truck,sending him and my sister to college, and other expenses.. it SUCKS to be the youngest (last to get a vehicle and drive so everything was gone by the time i turned 16)... so im at a loss as to waht to do. ill start looking for a frame. only if we cant fix this one. at least ive been saving up for a month or so.....for a lift:doah: :mad: .....guess it has to wait. why cant i have nice things?!?!?!?!?!?:(..lol..

6. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Ahhh man, I am sorry to see that. I just went through the whole process to fix that area about 6 months ago and the cracks were knarly, but not as bad as yours...

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i would cut out and splice a section of frame in to that one if no new frame is in order. thats real bad. then get a brace kit and a good weld and fishplate job on the cut and patch area.

8. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

ive got a mint 79 jimmy frame was 350 4 speed 4x4

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

don't worry, been there done that. My box ripped off and spun around and took out the radiator and all. the front of my frame drooped down. Spend 8 hours getting it straghtened and aligned back to normal then welding, grinding then weld on brace AND bolt on brace. Never a prob since.

1066645-Dsc00925.jpg

1066650-FEB2003%20034.jpg

10. blazeonchevy

wow i bet that was a wierd feeling...im sorry but i cant see your pics because im not a member... thankyou for your advice. if there is any way you could host the pics that would be great. but if not then dont worry about it. im trying ask as nice as i can so we dont have another ROLLIN ON 49's.... thread lol. thankyou.
    -sam-

11. MNorby

I will if you promise to pay up after you get your truck welded back together.... :D

12. MNorby

At least your frame isn't kinked, just drop the steering box and come-a-long the frame back together. I would grind a V in the crack valley then weld up. Grind the weld smooth then put an ORD weld on brace on. Also install the bolt on brace too. Well worth it for both, especially after the damage
    [​IMG]

13. blazeonchevy

:rolleyes: lol.. i will. like i said before money is real tight. im just trying to not make any enemies before i can pay.. thankyou for posting the pic...gosh gimme a break im a just a kid tryna get his truck going again! lol..:crazy:

14. blazeonchevy

wow.. thats a messed up frame you had there! that must have been hard to fix :bow: ... on the plus side of this whole thing.. maybe my steering will finally be tight:doah:i think this could have had something to do with it :thinking:..:haha:hahah

15. MNorby

pluss getting it down from where it broke at...
    [​IMG]

16. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You might try to getsome of the local CK5'ers to help you

17. blazeonchevy

heres another pic.

[​IMG]

the hard part about getting people to help is that i go to school then after that i work most days till 10. but if anyone wants to come weld my frame together while im at work go right ahead:D lol. im just kidding. and i would feel bad because most of the people here are over 21. and i wouldent be able to buy them a case for their trouble..:haha: thats how people pay my dad all the time:doah:

18. blazeonchevy

all i can say is :1zhelp:

19. MNorby

hence the managery of chains and come a longs in that first pic to steer it down. No coolant and barely running because low on fuel

20. blazeonchevy

i understand. ill tell my dad and see what he thinks. im pretty sure he can weld it. im not so good with that contraption..:doah: .but where he works there is another company next to his where professional welders build sign posts (like the ones you see on the sides of the highway) that can help. he is good freinds with the owner. i took apart a suburban for him too;) . i think we can fix it.. im just bummed out.