Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I was bored... *some parents may wish to shelter their kids from this*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yea, I was pretty bored... I had a moment of immaturity and said boob to myself and laughed quietly... Then I became interested in the origin of the word Boob, so I did a search:

Q.: Is there a connection between the modern word 'boob', for breast, and the lumps that appeared on the bodies of victims of the Black Death or bubonic plague?
    - Brian R.

A.: It's appears that it's very likely. While there's never been a definitive link between the two, the use of the word "boob" started sometime around the time of the Black Plaque. This is the history as presented in Cassell's Dictionary of Slang:
    Bubo - from the 14th century, refers to a swelling of some kind. The word bubonic is derived from bubo.
    Bubby - from the late 17th century, refers to a breast or both breasts together.
    Bube - from the late 18th century, refers to a venereal disease. Bube also is a derivative of bubo.
    Booby - started around the 1910s. It has been established that it came from Bubby.
    Boob - started in the 1940s, and traced to the word booby.

Q.: Where did the term "Shithead" originate and why?
    - Dave C.

A.: Believe it or not, shithead comes from another slang word, shitbird. Shitbird is a term for a stupid person ([naughty word] for crap and bird meaning a person). Both terms popped up sometime during the 1950s. As for the why, well there's no documented reasons for it, but it does make sense when you think of it.

Q.: What is the origin of the term "back-seat driver?"
    - Bob B.

A.: Cars of the early 1900s only had one seat, but it was able to hold two or three people. When back seats were eventually added, they were too far back to effective have a conversation with the driver. All of that changed with the introduction of the 1912 Essex coach, which featured a box-like enclosed body that made it easier to talk. Passengers started taking advantage of the opportunity to talk to the driver from the back seat, including where to turn or stop.

http://www.mindlesscrap.com/stumpme/02-02.htm there's the website... there's a lot of other useless but interesting tidbits of information... I hope it's all accurate... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Both terms popped up sometime during the 1950s. As for the why, well there's no documented reasons for it, but it does make sense when you think of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say the United States Military, since that is a common term.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Q.: What is the origin of the term "back-seat driver?"
    - Bob B.

A.: Cars of the early 1900s only had one seat, but it was able to hold two or three people. When back seats were eventually added, they were too far back to effective have a conversation with the driver. All of that changed with the introduction of the 1912 Essex coach, which featured a box-like enclosed body that made it easier to talk. Passengers started taking advantage of the opportunity to talk to the driver from the back seat, including where to turn or stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just tell them "WE'RE HERE!" and then drive off... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I wanna know why it's.....A bra...and a PAIR of panties?

I would agree that the more colorful descriptions for ineptitude originated in the military.....I met several senior NCO's who were fawkin' Eloquent... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif