Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I was buying 6.2 diesel :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JHG, Nov 11, 2004.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Few hours ago I was purchasing a 6.2 liter engine, TH400 and NP241. It is all comming from a vehicle that US Navy used to move airplanes.

That vehicle was only driven 5000 miles (but with very low gearing), and the engine has been running for little over 1000 hours.

Somewhere I saw a sticker wich said it was 155 hp. I am allowed to take almost anything from the innside of this truck, (every wire to the engine and every gauge), and get a diesel 4 row radiator also.

So I am almost ready for the diesel swap, but thats next summer project /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a cool tow tractor!!--I'd probably wheel it the way it is--the heck with putting the motor in something else!!--low gears,4wd,NP241 with its low range--sounds like a tourque monster.Put some 44's on it and be the first one on the block to own one! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What axles are under it? And any pics? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Cool Find!

4. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I did change my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif for 44s but havent bought them yet (have 38s right now). Now I am looking for Dana 60 and 14 bolt FF.

The guy who sold the 6.2/TH400/NP241 to me told me that THING has something like 20:1 gearing, and some planetery gears (and I have no clue what that is).

I am going there tomorow and I hope I remember to bring my camera to take some pictures of it /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those should be ZF axles if it's the truck I'm thinking of.

Rene

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

IIRC, there's no suspension to speak of on that tug, just a center pivot on one of the axles (front, I believe) that is normally locked, and only offers about 3" of travel unlocked. 4-wheel steering also, and I believe Rene is right about the axles being ZF's.
    On that note, 99% of aircraft tugs have solidly-mounted drive axles, because of the low gearing and heavy weights they pull.

7. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I did remember to bring my camera but I forgot to take pictures /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I was taking some stuff from that truck today and was surprised by some things.

That thing has a block heater (like the most have) but it also has a heater for some water hose, and there is some metal thing sticking through the oil pan (connects to electricity) and there is also some temp sensor (I think).

This is my first diesel so now I am starting to learn a new language /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It may have a heater element in the oil pan for extreme cold climate...

Rene