Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I was diagnosed with Adult ADD today...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Mar 29, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I decided it was time to go to the doctor to figure out what's been going on with my life since I was a kid. I walked in thinking I might have ADD, and the doctor confirmed my suspicions tentatively. He put me on a starter pack of Strattera, and I feel better already. I know it's the "Placebo Effect" that I'm feeling right now, but knowing that I am doing something about it makes me feel like a new man. The stuff should take about 2 weeks to start really working.

Honestly, I think the stuff may be working right now, since I've had the sudden urge to go apologize to people who I've wronged in the past in ways that I couldn't understand before today. I feel like going to all my previous employers who I was fired from and telling them why I was late, or why I didn't finish that project that I should have been able to do in a few hours... or whatever the reason was for my release from their employ.

Anyway... Because I'm on this medication, I may stop coming here for days at a time, since this is one of my releases from my daily grind. I love the community here, and I'll always be around, but if I don't post up every couple days, I would like a couple of you guys to send me an e-mail or PM checking up on me. Wow... It's amazing the way I feel right now.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You're one of the lucky ones, brother. There are a lot of people out there that just can't get it right and have no idea that anything is wrong with them. Good luck with the therapy and keep us posted on how things are coming along. The Brotherhood is here for you.........:thumb:

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Huh????Wait I gotta,,,, sorry what???

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Im going to the doctors and going to get some adderall next week. I was tested when I was in like 6th grade and they said I was ADD and HDAA or something like that. I use to take stuff but I never wanted to be on it so Id always spit it out when my mom or the nurse looked away. But now being in college and trying to do good, I can soo tell I need it. So hopefully they ll give me some and it will work. When I told my parents this, they were like "What, so you can sell it or something!".

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

WHAT?

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that something like this has affected you.. here is some food for thought.. a good friend of mine is a psychologist, having done everything from being a therapist, to teaching at the university level, to directing the K -12 special education program for my local school district.

She told me that since ADD and ADHD are neurological disorders, the only type of doctor truly capable of diagnosing them are neurosurgeons.. everyone else is really just guessing.

She had to deal with a lot of kids sent her way, who were diagnosed with add and doped into compliance, and there really wasn't anything wrong with them.

kids lack focus and discipline for lots of reasons.. they're kids, for one thing. some are naturally energetic and bored easily, sometimes it's dietary, others are the product of permissive parenting and too much TV. Her opinion is that ADD can be used as a crutch to not have to deal with the hard kids.

The guy I work for has ADD ( neurosurgeon diagnosed) and he describes it like it's as if your thought's were moving from one thing to another so fast, it was like channel surfing on speed. He's borderline autistic ( think "rain man") so he does have the ability to focus intently for awhile. His son is autistic and ADD diagnosed, and his symptoms are actually being lessened thru a diet of non processed foods and minimal TV. The kid's 11 now, and does very well in school, and has improved social skills.

Anyway, I'm not saying you do or don't have ADD, I have no idea. I just wanted you to know there's a way to get a definitive answer, if you wanted a second opinion.

Tom

7. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm almost 100% postitive I have at least some level of ADD. My aunt is a psychiatrist, and said that the ADD medications are stimulants, and coffee (and other sources of caffine) is a stimulant which does wonders for ADD people. Its a poor man's riddilin. I've become of coffee addict, and I really believe it helps me concentrate better, but that could be the Placebo effect I suppose :o

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I don't believe in ADD. It's a cop-out IMO.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'd have to agree with this. I was always in trouble as a kid. I would get sent out of the classroom, sent to the Principal all the time, etc. Back then nobody heard of ADD so I usually just got a good ass kicking. Eventually I grew out of it and am able to channel my energies into positive things. What benefitted me most was good parents, a good social environment, patient teachers, measured discipline, and good role models. Absent those things, I'd be in prison right now for sure.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, it is a stimulant. It dumps more of the chemical that is causing your "lack of attention", causing an overload. The body recognizes this overload, and releases another chemical to counter this.

Being on a medication for ADD or ADHD is worse for you than the actual "illness".

Being a psychology student and reading these studies, I have come to the conclusion that the diagnosis of ADD/ADHD and the medications used for treatment are simply ploys to make money. There is no REAL benefit to doping people into concentrating. You get someone to do what they really WANT to do, they'll have all the concentration in the world, but they will also have no discipline at all. Discipline and self control are the only ways I see to treat ADD/ADHD.

11. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Unless you have it and can understand what it feels like, it's easy to say that.

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I think this thread has ADD! Computer won't let me view page 12 of the post, goes to it for about 1/2 a second then goes to page not available and advises to refresh. No matter how I try to view the first page it won't let me.

Now it just flashes the front page then goes blank then flashes the front page again....

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was diagnosed with it as a kid, I think its bull as well. I thought so when they diagnosed me with it. I've always been "different". For a while in 3rd grade I prefered to stand over sitting. So I stood in the middle of class, while everyone else sat. I've always done **** differently, maybe just to be different, but its always been me. I forget why, I think the standing thing, but they suspected ADD and a DR said I had it.

You must admit, there are a ton of kids on drugs who are probably, just being kids...

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I wanna be a zombie, pick me pick me,I wanna be an industrious little cog in the Riddalin nation...

15. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I'd like to mention that I'm not a kid anymore... I'm 26 years old, and I've had symptoms of ADD since I was in first grade, but when I was a kid, there was no such thing as ADD or ADHD... The med I'm on is called Strattera, and is the only ADD medication that is NOT a stimulant... I feel completely different today than I've felt for the last 19 years of my life. I have new motivation to do things that I've put off for weeks or years. I get up at 5am today with no alarm clock and decided to go back to sleep even though I could have gotten up and been ready for the day. Maybe tomorrow I'll get up at 5am and clean the house... another thing I haven't done in months... I always start projects and never finish them, and now I can see the finished product in my mind, and I know that all my outstanding projects will be finished in short order.

If you don't believe in ADD, that's fine, but please don't down on people who have been diagnosed with it. Even if you don't believe in something, support for those who have it is the best thing you can give. Critisism doesn't help me or anyone else here who has had it or still does.

I am on medication because I chose to go to the doctor and tell him I thought I had ADD... he told me to be truly diagnosed with it, I'd have to see a Neurologist for a brain scan, but gave me the safest medication on the market. I have a follow-up with him in 2 weeks, and after that, I may indeed go see a Neuro for that $1000 brain scan.

Honestly, I've never felt better, and I'm happy that I'm on these meds. It makes me feel different. I watched some videos on the Strattera website, and the three people who were in the video - if all combined - would be me to a 'T'. I invite you to watch the videos and do some research on Strattera at www.strattera.com and you'll see how I was before, and how I'll be in a few weeks....

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hey if it works for you thats great and more power to ya,but I just think there are alot of people who just dont need it and are being forced or coherced into taking it.We're not all supposed to be the same or think the same,thats all I'm saying,but you're an adult and can atleast make the choice for yourself...:wink1:

17. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

boy that sucks i hope you can get past it, maybe get the proper meds and..........(wanders off to do something else for awhile)

:haha:

18. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Real or not, chemically altering your brain is lame. Another band-aid to cover the missing limb if you know what I mean... If I knew a month ago what I know now, I would've said screw you and your stupid prescription pad... Just wait till you're chemically dependent (not addicted mind you) on Strattera then realize it doesn't do a thing, and decide to stop wasting money on it... Then you'll get to see what it's like to have hot flashes, nausea, dizziness, and an overall weird feeling all over PLUS the original problem... Not that I'm whining or moping or anything...

Hooray for drug czars!

They said I had ADD in middle school and that's why I was a bad kid and got bad grades and didn't have a lot of friends... So I took these pills for like a month and nothing changed, and I said I told you guys that doctor was full of it... I just hate school, don't care about grades, and didn't like any of my classmates :)

Good luck with your new juices... I hope you can sleep at night :)

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Tell us how you really feel Carl, don't hold back man...:haha:

20. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You guys are quite the helpful group today. :rolleyes:

If it allows you to "get it right" that's great. If its a waste of money you are free, over 18 and its yours to waste, so waste away. Congrats for seeking out help either way and I hope it helps wether its a placebo effect or not.