Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I was forced to break someone's leg

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Sep 19, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I had traded for a straight '83 K30 Diesel Friday. It had 4.56 gears in it and I swapped 4.10 axles under it Saturday.

Sunday morning, I took it for a quick drive up the road (gravel county road with little traffic) just to see what it felt like with 4.10s.

Coming back down, I was going about 25mph around a corner that turned to my right. Two 4 wheelers were coming at me in the center of the road. I slammed on my brakes, they swerved back to their lane and I swerved to the far right of the shoulder. A second later as I was thinking "that was close", another 4 wheeler is coming straight at me and a motorcycle in the middle of the road. Again I slam on my brakes, keep it hard right and hope that he goes back to his side of the road. Instead, he swerves to the same shoulder I am on (my right, his left) and the front right corner clips him and the 4-wheeler as he is bailing.

I jump out of the truck, and the 3 others he's with run over, as he's yelling "You broke my leg! You broke my leg". We see he's hurting bad, and I hop in the truck and run back down to my place, have my brother call 911 and I tell everyone else that was there what happened. As I'm running back to the truck I see that theres a little damage so I hop in Brutus (another truck) and go back up.

He had a compound fracture and broke his femur on impact with the bumper. A large croud showed up, from my place and people from town, the local cop, then 3 ambulances.

The cop asks who was involved and I say I was. And he's like, "Allan, I've been meaning to ask you a few 4x4 questions about my blazer, but I'll talk to you about that after we take care of this".

The person injured was someone I knew. 3 years ago I spent almost 4 hours one night in the Orange Blazer and winch pulling his truck out of a swamp. I didn't even recognize him when the accident happened cause I was rushing for help so quick. He ended up getting air lifted from Ione to a hospital in Spokane.

Both the local cop and state patrol that was called up looked at the scene and acknowledged there wasn't anything else I could have done to avoid it. The state patrol said he didn't want to be a jerk, but he had to write me a ticket for the truck not being licensed yet (since I had just got it and didn't have money in time Friday to transfer it to buy tabs before the DOL closed). The state patrol officer and I both knew another patrol officer who was into Chevy 4x4's. The local cop came up later off-duty with my brother's permission and went bear hunting on our place. I guess it's good to know people... but it still didn't get me out of a ticket. I deserved it anyway.

So, $101 later, and a bumper and fender and grille later, I'll be back where I was Saturday night before this whole mess happened. I'd rather have run off into a tree than break someone's leg like that, but I didn't have enough time or room to get out of the way without running over him dead on or the guy on the bike. I bet to his friend's, I'm the bad guy. They all know me as the 4x4/Mud Bog guy, but now to them, I'm the one who ruined their day.

2. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

that sucks man i wouldent even imgaine how i would react in a situation like that :doah:

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wasn't it illegal for them to be on public roads on quads?

sounds like THEY where being stupid... even tho your a level headed, nice guy, i would let it be known it wasn't your fault if someone says sh*t.......

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That says it all for me. Next time he'll be more careful on a blind corner.

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Well you did what you could to avoid the accident and you also helped out getting him proper treatment, plus he's lucky it was only a broken leg and not any worse.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ONE question.

WHO THE HELL swerves LEFT?!?!?!?!?!?!

i mean what did he think he could acomplish?

too bad for you, if you were a jerk id say sue him for the cost of fender and grill.

but i know your not plus i am sure he learned his lesson.

ps.
    the thread title made me think you are in some sort of maffia ring of you own makeing were you brake people knee caps till the give you there d60s you whore!!!!!

:D:D

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exactly. And what were they doing in the middle of a public road. He is lucky that you didn't kill him.

8. mountainexplorer

The cops pointed out that the 4-wheelers were not legally supposed to have been on county roads. The 4 wheeler that hit me had 2 month expired tabs (well, so did my truck, but I had just got it 2 days before).

They were in my lane swinging wide to make a right turn onto one of the powerline roads off the main road. But it would have been smarter and safer if they did what I do when I go up that powerline road in trucks... slow down more and stay right. They should know as well as I do that it's a blind corner. I've come down the road before and had cars in the middle of the road cutting the corner... so I don't speed through there. Everyone that was down at my place said that they heard the 4-wheelers and bike go up the road sounding like they were going "50 or 60" which un-exaggerated means probably 35-40. The road speed limit it 25. I'll admit up the road further on the long straight stretch I got up to 45 to see what rpms I'd be turning, but I only do that on the straight stretch where vision is open and clear.

5 seconds in different timing is all we needed to avoid the whole mess cause I could have seen them in time to stop... another 5 more seconds they'd have already been onto the powerline road.

9. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Some left handed people do by mistake swear left. But would be more understandable on a motorcycle to go left in a bad situation by someone not thinking. Those who ride and know about countersteering and such know what i'm talkin about.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Too many people...

That sucks Alan!..guess even out in the boonies on a dirt road you cant even try out a new truck without running into someone--litteraly!..I'm glad the guy wasn't killed or more seriously hurt--but it serves them right for being there in the first place--it doesn't sound like it was your fault to me!..and you did all you could to avoid them..It sucks your "new" truck didn't even make it a week before something bad happened.. :( ..There is just too many people everywhere now..

Your lucky the cops didn't throw the book at you too--around here the truck would have been towed,impounded,and you'd be charged with unregistered and uninsured(a 500 dollar fine :eek1: )--and to get your truck out of the impound would be at least 200 bucks..So you are lucky there....count your blessings!.. :crazy:

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

dumb people bro.no one died and you were level headed.but its crazy how things happen outta the blue.we think we are safe in our little area. and then something crazy will happen. peace ALLAN. :D

12. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sorry to hear it.but dont be suprised if you hear from a lawyer over it.i watched a kid get hit by a explorer 75 ft from a intersection cutting threw cars stopped at a red light nce.the lady driving the explorer never had a chance to see himebefore he came from between 2 fullsized truks and she was sued over it.she was in her lane and only going 20-25 mph when she hit him but still broke his leg.i got a cal from her insurace company asking what i saw and what happened.even tho it was the kids fault the insurance company still had to pay out for his medical bills and im sure extra for pain and suffering.

13. mountainexplorer

That's one thing that worries me down the line.

Looking back, without the ability to see into the future or around blind corners, I couldn't have and wouldn't have done anything different considering the circumstances.

But even if people cause harm or damage to themselves, if they see an opportunity for money, they will go after it even if they know who you are. I don't have much money, just lots of stuff and everyone in town knows about the property and all the trucks. One thing I've learned about small town (at least this one) is it's everyone for themselves.

One friend advised me to go get a written estimate on damages on the truck. Even though I'll fix it myself, he said it would be good to have it if anything happens down the line.

Both cops that saw the scene will back up the truth of what happened (pretty plain to see), so I'm not too worried. But you never know. Like my brother said, alot of times in this world, the good guy comes in last. Not that I'm an angel or anything... but why did I get put in a situation where I "look" like the bad guy who broke a guy's leg and sent him to the hospital. Just like our rental house situation, where we're forced to evict friends. We got put in a spot where we look like the bad people, yet they brought it on themselves.

I do believe everything happens for a reason. In my own personal beliefs, God has a bigger plan for all seemingly bad things that happen... often for a better good on down the line. Who knows, if I hadn't wrecked with him on the road, something even worse may have happened to them way up on the trails. Or maybe it's just a painful learning experience for him or others who hear about what happened.

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

How does he figure you broke his leg? It sounds to me like his stupidity is what broke his leg.

:confused:

15. mountainexplorer

That's all I heard him saying after I got out of the truck. The person in the larger vehicle is always at fault. :crazy: :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hope everything turns out alright for you Allen that really sucks

17. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Don't waste time blaming yourself for their stupidity, you did all you could in the situation. They're lucky you knew what action to take.