Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I was pokin round and found some bushings shot..are they "replaceable"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudNurI, Apr 27, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I was pokin round and found some bushings shot..are they \"replaceable\"

While doing the calipers today- I was screwin round checkin stuff out......

Found what I think is a bushing on the end of my steering stabilizer, the "front" part of the bushing is visable- the rest of it, well lets just say isnt....

Then on my steering shaft- theres some big donut lookin bushing type thing there- well- should say- there WAS....hmmm I wonder if this lack of bushings everywhere is why my steering is so fawked...

From the play in my steering shaft I'm thinkin its going to need to be replaced- it moves a good 1-2 inches each way...

The stabilizer is a very skinny thing- I wonder if some super duper stabilizer will help my steering?

okay enough rambling for now.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Re: I was pokin round and found some bushings shot..are they \"replacable\"

[ QUOTE ]
    Found what I think is a bushing on the end of my steering stabilizer, the "front" part of the bushing is visable- the rest of it, well lets just say isnt....

Then on my steering shaft- theres some big donut lookin bushing type thing there- well- should say- there WAS....hmmm I wonder if this lack of bushings everywhere is why my steering is so fawked...

From the play in my steering shaft I'm thinkin its going to need to be replaced- it moves a good 1-2 inches each way...

The stabilizer is a very skinny thing- I wonder if some super duper stabilizer will help my steering?

okay enough rambling for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like the bushings in your steering stabilizer are fubar'd. It would probably just be easier to go get ya a new stabilzer, especially if your current one is small, old and in questionable operation. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As far as the steering shaft goes, that "donut" looking thing is the rag-joint. You can pick those up pretty cheap and they are cake to install. Both of those things will greatly improve the responsiveness and stability of your steering. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: I was pokin round and found some bushings shot..are they \"replacable\"

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as the steering shaft goes, that "donut" looking thing is the rag-joint. You can pick those up pretty cheap and they are cake to install. Both of those things will greatly improve the responsiveness and stability of your steering

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it had a fancy name of some sort and it does really look like a rag- but I didnt think it was suppose to!

I'll stop down at the parts store in the morning....

Now should I asume that this shaft is from this truck?.....if not original- whats the year range on these things? My truck has parts from anywhere from a 71-86 that I know of.....

thanks
    Brandy