Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I was reading a poster today...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Of the projected job outlook for 2000-2010...

Looked up Air Traffic Control... The mean average wage is $80,000 a year... The only things higher than that on the list were doctors, lawyers, and executives of big businesses, ranging from $91,000 to $121,000...

Maybe I'll like being an ATC dude and I can get a job at a big airport /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Ait Traffic Controllers also have the highest divorce, suicide and mental breakdown rates of any profession. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

If ya can't hack it, get another job /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I'll be finding out if I can hack it pretty soon...

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

As an official FAA Pink Card carrying Marine Corps GAC and Tower certifed Air Traffic Controler I have to say I really enjoy selling lumber /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But I did graduate 2nd in my class at ATC school in '89

5. fbronson

fbronson 1/2 ton status

You are aware that it is 2 years of training to become one of theses guys, and the stress is supposed to be higher than almost any other job. But what the hey! Why not /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I'm well aware it's going to be another 2 years before I go to school... And everyone in the world likes to tell me it's a stressful job... Of course, I never heard that before I decided to become one... But it's a little late now /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif, I still think it'll be a frickin awesome job... and the Cheyenne airport isn't really that busy, it's the big airports I think would give me some trouble... Ya know, the ones that pay $80,000 a year /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

halliburton truck driver pays better, is lower stress and you get to pack heat... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

You've really got to enjoy stress for that job...
    I'm not trying to insult you here, but unless you've listened to a busy Tower, Approach, or Departure freq for 10-15 minutes, you really don't have a clue just how stressful that job can be.

Think about it... Air Traffic Controller. That means that YOU are in charge of, and RESPONSIBLE FOR, a bunch of multi-million-dollar aircraft with dozens, often hundreds, of passengers on board. A couple seconds' hesitation or indecision in a critical situation can literally be the difference between blissfully-ignorant life or an ugly fireball in the sky for those passengers.
    Throw in pilots that speak such heavily-accented English that it sounds like another language over the radio, think they're YOUR boss, or just can't hack the situation they've flown themselves into, and it's up to you to figure out what they need.
    Then the weather goes to [darn] and every pilot within 100 miles of it all want to go around the same weather at the same time, causing you to make sure that 40 different airplanes flying in 10 different directions at 7 different speeds at 8 different altitudes don't attempt to occupy the same piece of sky at the same time. Not to mention the fools who didn't check the weather before taking their Cessnas and Pipers into the teeth of a thunderstorm, and who are now denied the use of the one indicator they actually can read, the ground.
    Then the winds shift, and that nice neat stack of inbound traffic you just spent the last hour shepherding into some semblance of order turns to a clusterfuck as you shift runways and approach paths.
    Then an aircraft blows a tire on touchdown and the active runway is fouled out of service with a broken airplane and tire debris for 30 minutes, causing you to jockey the landing traffic into a holding pattern somewhere.
    After that mess, half the traffic in the pattern is now fuel-critical and you have to decide their landing order.
    Now it's dark, and some pilot who's never been to this airport before makes a wrong turn and ends up clobbering all the ground traffic on the primary taxiway.

See what I'm getting at? It's no cakewalk. The easy days probably aren't too bad. Bad days like the one above are where you earn every penny. And YES, the bad accent, the weather and wind changes, the tire failure, and critical fuel situations all occurred on ONE flight I was on, headed into Meridian, Mississippi.

I think Stickseler summed it up best...
    [ QUOTE ]
    As an official FAA Pink Card carrying Marine Corps GAC and Tower certifed Air Traffic Controler I have to say I really enjoy selling lumber

[/ QUOTE ]

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not to mention there is no glory in that job but if you [darn] up just once you will be hung by every person from that airport to the far reaches of the world. Become a pilot I'd say you will be better off and thats often a 6 figure paying job if you get on the airliners.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You have successfully convinced me NEVER TO FLY AGAIN.

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I honestly am going to try to avoid flying all my life

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Sheesh, wimps, flying is frickin cool... However, I've had the [darn] scared out of me in a Cessna one time...The CAP pilot was about 90 billion years old, using an oxygen tank, and we were flying across Wyoming from Cheyenne to Jackson for a training exercise... There's a funny story that goes along with this, but I'll tell at a later time...

Anyway, we flew around a couple thunderstorms on the way... That and the late afternoon roughness, I was hanging on for my life /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Sorry Ratch, didn't mean to scare ya... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    That was a worst-case scenario that I lived through. Weather along our intended route painted us into a bit of a corner, then the fit started to hit the shan with all the other issues. Tower and Approach did an awesome job with all the metal in the clouds, but you could definitely hear the stress in their voices over the radios. We landed with about 1000lbs of fuel (approx. 150gal., enough for about 15 minutes of flight) which is pretty low for a 53E. It's one of the few times that I really was worried in the aircraft...
    While we were gassing up, one of our pilots went to talk to the Tower controller (after the sh!tstorm had passed) about a minor issue regarding clearances. When he returned, he said the three controllers on duty (1 Approach/Departure, 1 Tower, 1 Ground) looked like they had gone swimming...

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

any one told you to go rent pushing tin? dont want to re read it all

good moive but thats just a little bit of the [darn] they have to deal with /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

had a friend that when in for it, after like 8 months of training he was at the top of his class he quit, it was just too much for him, now hes a licenced plumber