Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i watched a man die on tuesday nite...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, May 3, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it was my grandfather. one of the most amazing experiences in my entire life. he was my biggest role model - i'm a bit concerned about the future of the world once the WWII generation is all gone. seems like they really had something figured out more - well, at least better than the baby boomers.

anyway, i went over to bend, oregon on tuesday because i knew he was in bad shape - dying from all kinds of cancers. he was to the point where you couldn't understand the 10 words he was able to muster the strength to say in one day. spent the day there with him and my family. his brother and sister-in-law came over from the coast - you should have seen the way bob's face lit up when his brother showed up. it was like he was waiting for him so they could have closure. then bob went to sleep and didn't wake up for the rest of the day.

decided to crash there in bend that nite at my grandma's place since she would be staying with him at the hospice house. we told her to call us if bob took a real step toward death. well, we got that call at about 10:30. so i woke his brother and sister-in-law and let them know and claire and i left for the hospice house.

got over to the hospice house at about 11. my aunt was there and we just sat around bob and talked to him. he was alert and aware of what was going on - trying to wink at his wife and smile at her. his breathing was SLOW, but he was peaceful and happy - there was something strangely beautiful about the whole scene.

i said, "grandpa, when you get to heaven see if you can find my mom and say hello to her for me."

he said "I will" - it was even audible, something he hadn't done all day.

then his brother showed up and 5 minutes later i saw that he was passing so i told my grandma to hold his hand and we watched him take his last breath. it was incredible, beautiful and miserable.

i can't believe his last words were "I will" - that was a heart wrencher, it was like he was showing me that he thought it was very important/valuable. incredible.

:)

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Sorry aboot the loss, brother :( .

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Very sorry to hear, bro. I watched my grandfather die too, as well as my dad in 05.

Again, very sorry for your loss.

4. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Wow, very well spoken Colby. Sorry for your loss I am sure he is in a better place.

Larry

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Colby.. my condolences, bro.. and thanks for sharing.. at least everyone got to be with him in the last moments..what a way to go out..

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear that man, but at least he went out surrounded by people who love him.

7. colbystephens

thanks guys.

it's all cool tho. i'm actually pretty stoked for him - lucky S.O.B gets to hang out with jesus all the time now. :D

8. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

While I was sad when my Grandfather passed away three years ago, It was also a special moment of closure. My Grandmother had passed away several years prior and life had not been the same for him. He was 99 years old, hard of hearing and going blind, so quality of life for him was very poor and you could tell he was just plain bored. Developed bronchitis and passed away a week later.

Now this is the man who taught me to braze and weld, how to tear apart a motor and make it work again, and how to sharpen just about any saw that existed - he was a sawyer and millright for 25 years and knew a thing or two about sawsteel.

About a month before he died we were talking about what things were like when he was growing up. To him the three most exciting things in his life were the internal combustion engine - mainly in the form of a tractor, the telephone because it let him talk with his 14 brothers and sisters even though they were all over the country(14!), and meeting my grandmother.

After his passing I realized everything was right in the world because;
    1. Grandma was there again to fix his breakfast and remind him to comb his hair.
    2. He was no longer deaf blind and crippled, but could go out and tinker once again as he loved.
    3. Heaven has sharp saws, running tractors, and WAY too many recipie holders:wink1:

Sorry for the loss Colby, but it sounds like heaven gained another upstanding citizen - heck he probably playing penochle and making whirlygigs with my grandad right now!

9. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your dealing with it well...sorry for the loss dude. I had to actually stop myself from sheading tears while reading your experience. I think part of it is that my dad is 81 (WWII guy also) and in great shape for his age but I know that scene can't be to far away.

Well, I dont mean to make this about me so I'll say that I give you credit for being able to bring this here to the brotherhood. We are all human here, even in the lounge and it really is beautiful in a way...carry on.:waytogo:

10. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

Thats super cool Colbs. reminds me alot of when my grandmother passed away. i wasnt able to be there but my dad told me how it all happened, and it was similar. I took it really hard when i heard about that. but anyway, glad to see you are taking it well.

best wishes for the rest of your family.

11. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow. That's pretty amazing. Sorry for your loss.

12. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow you have just said so much and also lost i see to.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry about your loss.

14. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry for your loss, but happy for the way it all went. Is there really a better way to go, then peacefully and surrounded by loved ones?

15. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my father suffered for over 8+years. then when he was gone his face was the most calm and peacefull i had seen in years.

r.i.p. felow family members. . . . . . . . . . . . .

16. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Very well put Colby. Damn near brought a tear to my eye.

Sorry for your lose brother.

17. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Sorry for your loss Colby, I've been there and that final peaceful look from a loved one who has been in so much pain almost makes up for the loss.

18. colbystephens

it's true. :)

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sucks to see stuff like that...

My father died on my deck after grilling up a few steaks for our sunday night dinner about 5 years ago. He had a massive hear attack and we had to give him CPR. He was too young at 49.

I was 13 at the time and it was before I got into cars or trucks fro that mater. I know that my dad would have loved to see that I got into cars. I want to restore a 64 Chevy II Nova in his memory. He had one back in the later 60s and he loved that car. It was stolen twice from him actually. He would always tell me stories about the car. I guess I want one as bad as he did.

20. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

amazing and sad at the same time.. but like it was said no better way to go.. sorry to hear about it though