Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I went and did it again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 14, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Brought home another "gem".

1979 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, 350, Edelbrock Intake, Carter carb, Headers, SM465/NP205, and a 14 bolt rear, for $600. I got tired again of driving the same vehicle to work 5 days in a row.
    [​IMG]

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

jesus christ how many trucks do you have now?

3. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

so yer the reason scrap metal is becoming scarce /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    so yer the reason scrap metal is becoming scarce

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif And something always stops me from hauling it in. Other years, it was lack of time, or lack of effort or abaility to start hauling it in to the scrap yards. This year, it was the DOT.

I have 7 total vehicles at the house right now. But only 3 are capable of making it to work and back. Yesterday, it was only one out of 6... so I guess I'm making progress. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

I just need to start selling stuff I've invested in. I'm supposed to be doing this on the side to make money, but I never have the time to finish all my proposed "projects".

The motor from this one will be going into a crew cab, so I can get it sold and get my money plus some back out of it, pay off some people, and some bills. It's all part of the master plan. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif But I'll just be proudly driving this beauty of a truck till I get around to tearing it apart.

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

of course you could just sell all of them and instead of having 6 crappy trucks...have one or 2 good trucks /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

you and 4wheelerjeff can both catagorize your cars by color.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. mountainexplorer

Having like 20 crappy trucks is always funner than one or two nice ones. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It keeps life more interesting. I like having beaters that I just don't care about.

Like my $150 1/2 ton 2wd '76 Chevy I bought last spring. I bet it's probably been more places than some nice 4x4's have been to before since I got it. And its given me some fun "tales"... like explaining to people why the front A-arm is ratchet strapped to the frame.

There's no replacement for priceless memories that beater rigs can give ya. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Having spent the past 20 years or so in similar low buck chevy pickups and K-5's,a van and many GM fullsize cars,I think we must have the same disease--I have been to nashville in my old 81 van in 1992,it was much younger then(so was I!)and it had 138,000 miles on its camel humper 250 six--I was terrified at first ,thinking I was nuts to trust an old heap like that to go that far and trust your life with it,well it wasnt that fast in the pocono's mountains in PA,and virginia seemed like it took forever--but a freind and I made the trip,it was a first for both of us ever going that far from home,we had some anxious moments at times when the tar on the highway made you think for sure a tire was getting ready to pop or a u-joint is failing,but we made it there and back with only minor annoyances,no real breakdowns considering the age and mileage of the van---It was cool to live out a dream for that summer ,we met a lot of artists at fan fair that we liked,and I still attend many distant concerts of theirs and they still are friends to me,sadly my friend died in 1994 of a heart valve problem rather suddenly,and life has changed a lot since then /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif--but the old "blue beast" still sits in the yard,awaiting the licence plates to be transferred back onto it,and despite some rust and other age related issues like leaf spring with a metal band clamped on for a main leaf eye(been like that since that trip!)and a few other minor sins,it still will pull me just about anywhere I want to--but after a nine month nap I'm sure things will start going downhill rapidly.My vehicles go to hell fast if you dont use them often,I think the climate where you are must be similar,I lose tranny and metal brake lines rather quickly around here,and master cylinders seen to not like sitting still for long either,and rear brakes always seem to rust up overnight and lock up real easy the next morning. I think you are right the memories are stronger in an older truck--it must be because you feel you rescued it from the crusher,almost like a dog you got at the animal shelter just before they were going to gas it,and you give it a new lease on life,its like the truck seems to know this,and usually (not always!) they treat you pretty darn good considering your original investment.I keep buying more GM trucks all the time,and I cant say I've had many lemons despite the abuse I give them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'ts ok to have "beaters" as long as they arent giving you a beating,right?.

9. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I think i'm about to cry... that was some pretty deep and touching stuff right there