Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I went to the dark side ! I bought a toyota 4x4

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by chopped&bobbed77burb, Sep 3, 2006.

1. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I think the burb is getting closer to becoming a tow rig :haha: . I picked up a 86 toyota xtracab , 22re (efi :bow: ) . new 31" tires w/ centerline wheels , totally stock w 200k on it . 5 speed with a missing 3rd and 4th gear :eek1: . I drove it home for $1100 cash :D . Runs and drives great . I got the tranny out yesterday and pulled it all apart and found the 3rd and 4th shift fork broke at the shift rail . I'm gonna rebuild the tranny later as I scored a good 5 speed ( w56 ) for $100 cash (ebay :bow: ) . I'm gonna sas it and build a daily driver /wheeler . It just cost to much in fuel to wheel the burb . I have all 4wd rigs now :D . 2 toyota tercel 4x4's , 1 suzuki sammy , 1 toyota 4x4 truck and that big a$$ burb . I just had to share , That is all .

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wait a minute here... what happened to the "Im gonna sell all my 4x4 rigs" posts? lol!

j

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

hey I have a toyota and a burb too, I would like to use the toy as the tow rig though :screwy: :haha:

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

5. chopped&bobbed77burb

I'm maybe gonna do just the gears as I don't want to have to build new drive shafts at this time . later I will do the doubler set up . I'm just getting it going first so I can have a econo truck to drive . I drove down to Springfield today and picked up the 5 speed I won on ebay . I got it home and opened it up :( . It need's an out input shaft bearing but the gears look great . I'm just going to rebuild it and install a new clutch/pressureplate & throwout bearing along with a new rear main seal . I'm still debating the sas set up . I know it's easier using a toyota straight axle but I think a cut down chevy dana 44 ( still 6 lug ) would be cheaper and stronger in the long run . I'm only going to run 36" Iroks .

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

D44's and yota mini fronts are nearly equal in strength. The common failure mode in either is the steering joint.

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

toyotas are stronger stock vs stock

8. chopped&bobbed77burb

I have seen WAY to many of my toyota buddies blow birfield joints running 33-35 inch tires compared to 1/2 ton chevies running 35's and busting u joints and the chevies are alot heavy rigs . I also have a few buddies that ditched their toy axles and built dana 44s . So far the one with cromo axles is doing well on 39.5 Iroks but he did frag a stock warn 19 spline hub :crazy: . He's going to 30 spline warn hubs . My nieghbor just saif f**k it and took a dodge dana 60 and cut the long side down 4 inches and bolted it uder his 4runner (it doesn't resemble one anymore ) . If you figure the cost of buying a stock complete toy axle ($200-300 cash) to a 1/2 ton chevy d44 ($50-150cash) and doing the gears and cromo axles you would come out ahead with a d44 and you would gain some much needed width . I would feel much better about wheeling my yota with 36" iroks with a stock d44 than a toy axle . That being said , If I was just mudding or playing in the sand OR just using my truck for the street , a toy axle would do fine . I suppose if I got an axle housing for free and I did the build up with the warn cromo axles and 300m longfields and the heat treated yukon 5:29 gears then that would do well . Then we are right back to the width thing . Maybe if I can gets some 2.5 rocks for the burb , I can take my d60/14bff and toss them under the yota .

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

there will be cases going both ways.
    I'v ran 35's on both a blazer with a 44 and a toyota with a stock 8.5 and had no problems with either.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

toyota stuff is pretty bad ass. I'd put a toy front with Longs 30-spline 4340/300M birfs up against pretty much any D44... especially while turning. Birf > u-joint at pretty much everything but when driving perfectly straight. Look at those new D60 birfs Bobby has... yikes talk about beef!

j

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm a survivor of a long time on the ORC yota list. Over the time I was there I did an informal survey of what it took to break the Birfs. Came down to that anyone of these things could do it:
    Tires wider than 10"
    Tires taller than 33"
    Re-geared axles below what got the speedo reading correctly for a given tire size
    Crawler gears in the t-c or a Marlin etc
    Throttle + turn

If you had more than one of those things you were on borrowed time.
    Which is about what I see that it takes to cluster a D44.

12. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

if money was no problem (but it is a problem for me) i would go with unimogs :D www.teximog.com has front and rear for like 1700 or something like that. thats what id like to put under my blazer, forget the D 60 and 14 bolt, unimogs baby!!!!!