Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i wheel alone ALL the time (like 95%)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoad, Jul 26, 2003.

1. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i ride an atv, and i'm alone 95% of the time. i've been stuck, but never broke, and i've always made it home. i've got recovery gear, and a brain. i can push the bike around, unlike a truck.

how you guys wheel without winches astounds me. it really does...

2. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

We don't go alone?

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

im alone alot during hunting season....but i have 2 winches..front and rear...but the fact remains you should never wheel alone /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif...and when i am way more cautious /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

No offense, but was there a point to this post? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No offense, but was there a point to this post? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

yeah, you guys harp on about how you should always have someone with you. i never do, and i'm fine.

7. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, you guys harp on about how you should always have someone with you. i never do, and i'm fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Yeah, the Dokters said I'd never fully recover from my last rollover, but now I'm fine too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And now I'm fine too. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif And now I'm fine.

Besides, I'm schizophrenic (and so am I) so I'm never really alone. And I'm fine now. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sal

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I'd expect that comment from my 5 year old....."I know I should wear my bike helmet but I've never fallen off my bike yet.."...

Do you realize how STUPID that sounds? It's like swimming alone- I've never had an incident in a pool where I've needed help, but yet I wouldnt swim alone BECAUSE of the RISK....get it- RISK....when your riding- an ATV or whatever- your AT RISK for serious injuries..

I'll never forget the time John, myself and about 15 other people were out riding our quads, one of them rolled- quad on top of him....he would NOT have been able to get the quad off of him if he was alone...NEVER would he have been able to...he broke a leg, and an arm....now had he been alone- nobody knows how long he'd have been in the woods waiting for someone to find him.

Riding alone is one of the stupidest things anyone can do. It's as bad as saying "i dont need my seat belt, I've never been in an accident".

Brandy

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah what she said... you goofball. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, the Dokters said I'd never fully recover from my last rollover, but now I'm fine too. And now I'm fine too. And now I'm fine.

Besides, I'm schizophrenic (and so am I) so I'm never really alone. And I'm fine now.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LMAO that is one of the funniest things I have ever read! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

getting stuck on an atv is A LOT different than getting stuck in a truck, about 10 times lighter...you can pick up a 4 wheeler and move it one end at a time..i used to wheel light stuff alone all the time in my toyota until i got stuck for the first time last saturday, even if the other rig cant pull you out..at least they can go flag someone down who can..

12. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, you guys harp on about how you should always have someone with you. i never do, and i'm fine. cause my mama says i'm one fart smeller and i'll be awl wright.

[/ QUOTE ]

i fixed that for ya

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well just make sure you let somebody know where to look for your carcus when you don't show up. The issue is only part the vehicle. The rest is if something were to happen to you.

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

(Disclaimer:I do not agree with the views expressed by Mr.OffRoad /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I do believe that whenever possible you should not go out alone but,if it comes down to wheelin alone or stayin home,Im goin wheelin.Iv done more solo wheelin than I have done with others.I know my truck,I knew the trails that I was going to,I carry lots of spare parts,a HiLift,and a shovel.Good common sence is a good thing to take with ya too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wheeling alone is a great way to hone your self extraction skills /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifIv gotten myself out of more than one hopelessly stuck or hung up situation by myself with only a HiLift and a shovel /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FRIZZLEFRY=HiLift King /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

FRIZZLEFRYLIFT
    "Still a ramp queen"!

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    (Disclaimer:I do not agree with the views expressed by Mr.OffRoad )

I do believe that whenever possible you should not go out alone but,if it comes down to wheelin alone or stayin home,Im goin wheelin.Iv done more solo wheelin than I have done with others.I know my truck,I knew the trails that I was going to,I carry lots of spare parts,a HiLift,and a shovel.Good common sence is a good thing to take with ya too Wheeling alone is a great way to hone your self extraction skills Iv gotten myself out of more than one hopelessly stuck or hung up situation by myself with only a HiLift and a shovel

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that notion, though it is not smart to go wheeling alone, sometimes there is no other choice (well... you could just not go wheelin) I only go wheelin in mud, no rocks, no off camber situations, just lots and lots of sticky goo to slosh around in. I get stuck 80% of the time I go out and have been able to extract myself (within a day or 2) with just a hi-lift and a cheap K-mart 2-ton come-a-long. Someone always knows where I am and I carry a cell phone just in case. Wheeling alone can be safe, you drive your car on the road by yourself every day to work don't you? And driving a car is more dangerous than flying... why don't you have someone in the seat next to you or following you to work? Ok, I'm done being a smart a$$... let the flames commence! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

17. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It only takes one time, espescially on an ATV. What an asshat.

18. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If you do go wheeling alone, take a cell phone. Many people do not know that even if a cell phone is not activated they are required to allow a 911 call to go through. It can cut walking time in half if you get stuck you can usually walk far enough to get a signal long before you reach civilization. I got stuck alone once and it was one of the most frightening times of my life. I was hunting and didn't get back to my truch until after dark. When leaving I slid off the road into a snow filled ditch...this was up the mountain well away from civilation. Luckily a state gameland officer on another mountain saw my headlights and came to investigate (game lands are off limits after dark during hunting season). It would have been a cold night until the next day. Now I carry a prepaid cell phone everywhere.

19. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I had a car phone in my blazer from way back in the 80's... I guess I should consider re-installing it. Nah, I'm happy with the cell phone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all for it. Dude! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

On a completely unrelated note, did you all know that you can get a life insurance policy on ANYONE even if they don't know about? So for example if you have a 'Thing' for Brooke Burke (BrookeBurke.com BrookeBurke.com BrookeBurke.com) but she doesn't even know you exist, you can get an insurance policy on her just because it would be such a huge loss from your stocker life if something happened to her.

So, if you don't mind, could all of you guys that wheel alone send me your full names and addresses? It's probably a better investment than lottery tickets. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Sal