Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I will always discourage someone from getting a tattoo....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 22, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and if I am infact able to do so, they should not be getting a tattoo anyway...

**being a member of a Myspace group of tattoo lovers is what brings this on, constantly see 17 and 16 year olds who want to get tattoos but have no idea what they want or just impulsively get one**

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah see that punk in 5 years, with some stupid tat that lost all meaning and coolness 2 weeks after he go it.

hey seld you watch miami ink?

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ive been thinking about a few for a while, not sure what to get. I know im going to get one though on my upper arm...gonna be CK5 in blue:Dwhen some extra money gets flowin though

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have wanted one for a while, I either get pissed at the tattoo dudes attitude, or my reply is "how much?":confused: . Besides, I have some cool scars that look better than any tattoo.

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I suggest people to get em. As long as they have meaning. Nothing like tribal arm bands etc.

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i say screw it and get no matter what you want when you want it.

unless its you ladies name. good lord that is a surefire way to get split up quick.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yeah, i cant wait for another 25 years, when im seeing 45 year old "businessmen" with tattoos that say "FOCK YOU" (or something 1 letter off) all over their arms. i have a friend who has his daughter's name tattooed on the side of his neck. no way in hell he's ever going to land a decent job with that. its too high up, and cant be covered with a collar either. the meaning is good, but his location just isnt appealing, or easily hidden. used to work with a guy who had "pain" on the back of one forearm, and "faith" on the other. not sure of the connection there, but yet again, another poor choice, and poor location.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i love all of my ink, and they all have meaning. i only have 7 right now but will be getting another larger one soon.

i agree if you can talk someone out of it then they didnt want it bad enough and it didnt have meaning anyway.
    Grant

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

people make stupid choices every day that they have to live with for the rest of their lives.

why exclude tattoos?

granted, a little forethought will go a long way.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep, fairly good show. Way better than the "other" tattoo shows. I like them tieing stories about the pieces in. See a few things that I can tell really don't have meaning to these people. They've noted sterilization, constantly push artistic ability and try to upsell detail. All in all good stuff IMO. Don't care for the open air atmosphere setup they have.

what a coincidence, I love all of mine and only have 7 as of now too :haha:

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

because most stupid choices can't be seen day in day out(short of scars from stupid things, but hey you can make up a cool story for those). What can you say about getting say the band logo from a one hit wonder on your forearm? Or the words **** YOU across your knuckles. Both things I've seen and know people who thought they were cool.

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

thats their problem. quit being all mother theresa on people about tattoos. let them make those decisions for themselves. not everyone has a deep relationship with their tattoos. i dont. not that im saying that its a bad thing, because dont get me wrong, i have heard you talk passionatly about your tattoo artist and i think its great. some people just want ink.

but i digress. somebody is teaching these kids right from wrong, about most other things (drugs and alcohol, crime, unprotected sex etc etc). so i guess it would be better to hear from someone who has tattoos and what to do or not to do. so maybe its better if you break it to them, and not mom and dad after the deed is done.

wasnt trying to attack you personally, but i just think that some people need to find out for themselves.

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I am an individual.

I have no tatoos.

I stand out in the crowd at the Stae Fair as one of the few with no tats in So-Cal.

Tribal bands....whoa...way too many of those on white guys.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

didn't think you were attacking me, just a subject I am somewhat passionate about. I just think way too many kids take piercings and tattoos way too lightly anymore. Everyones entitled to their opinions.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, but I would basically leave it at the idea that if you're gonna do it, it better be something you'll be proud of 2 stages of life/maturity from now... Then again, modern people don't seem to grow up anymore...

I've known people with tattoos they've regretted. Then I've known people who you can tell just have pride keeping them from saying they wish they never got it. I know a guy that regrets his, but it's on his shoulder and always covered, so not really often embarassing for him.

I kinda wonder what the motivation is for people that get them in really blatent spots like their neck or hands. I hear and understand about a tattoo having personal meaning, but some stupid swirl or writing around a wrist that you can't really read makes me wonder what the point is.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never understood the need. They cost money and don't do anything. If you really need to be able to use the slightly pathetic "wanna see my tat?" line on chicks... you have plenty of issues. Save the $ for 4x4 parts. Never EVER seen a guy/chick over 45 years old whos tat wasn't ugly, lame, embarassing etc. I know that people under the age of 25 have trouble actually thinking about the future, but come on now... think about these things!

When I was in infantry school in Cali (my young/dumb years at 18.5 years old...) two of my fire-team members got grim reaper tats... they tried to convince me to get one... to this day I thank the heavens that I refused.

j

17. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

why do we need to outfit our trucks to venture off road? why do guys lower trucks? why do guys drag race? spend money on chrome? buy diamond rings? have guns? spend money on anything at all?

just a personal choice thats all.

18. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I believe in getting a tat if it's something that truly represents you. A tatto is not a clothing accesory, which is what it is becoming. I see so many girls with that same tribal design on their lower back, and I know they got it becaus every one else has one. It's just like a style of jeans or shirts nowadays. It's not like it relates to a specific tribe, or a specific meaning, its just some flame looking lines that an artist put together for $150 of his time.

If your gonna scar yourself forever, make sure it MEANS something to you. Something that you feel and have felt for a long time. Otherwise, your gonna wind up 45 years old and trying to find ways to cover that "Nuke 'em till they glow" tat.

My tattoo is true to what I enjoy, and how I want to live my life. I want to be dependable to those who love me, I want to be steadfast and true, and I want to be around for a long, long, time.

[​IMG]

On a side note. I was at the Furd dealership (my wife drives a Focus), picking up the Focus, for the 3rd time is 2 years, and I commented on how long the line was at the repair center. I must have stood in that line for over 20 minutes, and there was at least 6 people behind me waiting to pick up their cars. I believe my exact words were "I don't remember ever having to wait in line at the Chevy Dealership, of course I don't ever recall having to have my Chevy serviced". The two mechanics at the counter were obviously pissed, I think because they would rather be sippin Courvoisier with all the ladies, laid back with the mechanics at the Chevy dealership. It's not like they could say much though, the line was huge, and it was irrefutable that all those cars were crappy and thats why they are being fixed. I also looked at a Saleen Mustang. They want $48,000 for that? Looking at that price gave me flu like symtoms, and I wanted to leave.

God Bless you Chevrolet.

Al

Sorry for the thread steal at the end.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sadly in my time at the Ford dealer(you know all of 3 days) I've worked on as many Chevy's as I have Fords so far...

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

because if we don't we get stuck on the first obstacle and/or we can't do any real wheeling?

got me there, absolutely no reason to lower a truck.... of course, I'd never do it... so... :grin:

I would guess that for most people its the rush they get from competing/winning against their fellow man. I dunno... never drag raced before.

see the lowered rig comments... no good reason for it. :)

have to ask a woman that, I don't care about polished rocks at all... just like tats, they don't do anything.

Personal defense.

one needs to live, so ya need to spend money on food/shelter/water/power. Most people have some money left over to do things they want. I spend money on 4x4 stuff. The money is spent to get a specific result... my rig can go more places and I'll therefore enjoy my wheel'in trip more.

I guess.... still haven't seen a good reason other than "i just want to, damn it!"... which isn't much of an explanation. Simple psychology seems to suggest that those interested in such things have issues with their bodies.

j