Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I won a custom Christensen Arms rifle....need your opinions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stallion85, Jun 5, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I went to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Banquet in Cedar City Utah this weekend and won one of the raffles. I was able to choose anything they had on the live auction, so of course I chose the best prize out of them all. Any caliber rifle custom made by Christensen Arms.

I was wondering what the debate would be. I hunt Elk with my Ruger 7MM. I want to get a gun I would never buy, I was thinking a 300 Win Mag. I have no experience with this rifle, but do know it is a bad mama jamma:wink1: .

If you guys were in my shoes what gun would you get and why. Keep in mind I get any stock I want too.....

Here is a link to there site http://www.christensenarms.com/##

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I hate you.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

.300 Pegasus-3700 fps with 150 gr slug!!!!!!!

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

.338 Winchester Magnum!

Man, what an awesome prize!

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can't go wrong with a .300 win mag. We own two and they'll knock down just about anything and are still shootable at the range without killing your shoulder.

6. stallion85

Did I mention I only put in $20. LOL My father in law was pissed. It was my first RMEF banquet and his 6th. I guess you gotta get lucky sometime.

The funny thing was when they were anouncing the winner I was coming back from the bathroom and I saw my wife walking up to the front. I immediately convened before she opted for the "Ducks in a Bidhouse sculpture". I calmly said baby hold on a second. Sir, she wants the rifle.....lol

7. stallion85

Cool, you never know what kind of game you will hunt in the future so I think this would be good for just about anything, right?

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pretty much. I usually use my .243 or .270 for deer and antelope hunting unless it's pretty windy and I know I'm going to need to reach out and touch something. Bagged an antelope two years ago with my .300 at about 350 yards. Good cartridge, fast and heavy enough for just about anything, and ammunition is readily available as are dies and reloading tables (if you reload).

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Well, if you wanted to get something that you would never buy for yourself- and enough knock down power to stop anything on the earth, - the Carbon Ranger looks like the gun to get. .50 caliber with 5 shot magazine.....I am drooling!!!!!! Knocking an elk off it's hoofs at a mile...... it just doesn't get any better than that! :D

If you can't get that, go for a .300 Win Mag. Awesome ballistics and really not that bad to shoot. I grew up on Kodiak Island, AK and have seen a number of bears dropped with the .300 Win Mag with no worries. Would be an excellent long distance elk /mulie/white tail gun as well.

But for all of us shooters who will never be able to get a .50 try for that, PLEASE! :bow:

10. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

i also say go for the 50 cal carbon ranger ;D

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ive got a 300 win-mag, amazing gun... i also love my lever action 300 savage though.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The difference between a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 win mag aren't enough to warrant getting a custom gun built in that caliber. If you are going to step up in caliber then I would do something bigger like a 338 win, 340 weatherby, 30-378. Also remember though that a light rifle in a big caliber is going to kick the crap out of you unless you get a damn good muzzle brake on it.

Personally I have stopped my thoughts on the bigger is better when it comes to caliber. I used to like the boomers but now I switched gears. My next rifle will be something somewhat exotic.

257 weatherby
    6.5-06
    264 win mag
    257 ackley improved
    etc.

Those rounds are just about perfect for me. They are very efficient and have plenty of pop for anything up to Elk.

Something like a 220 swift might be cool too.

Harley

13. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

Take a look at the WSM series also. .300 .270 and the likes. Those guys build some serious rifles and you may want to give them a call and ask them what they reccomend for what you would most likely be hunting and your typical ranges that you would be shooting.
    Im Envious!!!!!!!!!!
    Brett

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm not too familiar with the WSM's, but along those lines is what I would suggest looking at.
    It used to be that the 300 Weatherbugle had just enough of an edge on the 300 Win that it was my choice. Now I'm sure there are more efficient chambers available. I like .30 cal for it's bullet weight selection range. Choose a chamber that will drive the heaviest and put on a barrel with a twist that will almost stabilize the lightest.

EDIT: Those short Mags in .30 look good to me. A short action will be stiffer than a long action. (Oh MY!) I would go with a Rem 700 action unless you can get it in a 40X repeater, then I'd take that.
    I've shot a Barret .50 BMG bolt. Really good for cleaning out your sinuses, really glad it's not mine.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  15. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just looked at their website and cartridge selection is gonna be a tough choice. It looks like they will build off of just about any action. My first choice would be .338 Win Mag but I don't think it would be comfortable to shoot in such a light rifle. One of the weatherby cartridges might be fun since they will build off a weatherby action.

16. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love the .300 WM, but if I was going to buy another gun right now I think the .300 Ultra Mag or the .300 Winchester Short mag. All shoot the same bullets, but the WSM and ULTRA both surpass the WM ballistics. I am a no frills guy so the Remington 700 or Winchester 70 are easy choices. Stainless and composite with Leupold of your choice:D

Lets see pics of the gun you won.

17. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

It's not even built yet:eek1: go take a look at what he gets to choose from

18. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

my choice 50 cal
    [​IMG]

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

assuming you don't want the 50 cal BMG.... I'd go with a 300 Remington Ultra Mag. That bad boy rocks. 28 or 30" bbl... muzzle brake... cool stock, stainless action etc. Here is some cool info on the 300 ultra....

I dunno about you guys, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that 200gr bullet. You could pretty much kill any living thing on Earth with that... including a whale if he got close enough to the surface. lol!

I'm not a hunter, so if I had a free custom gun, I'd probably get one chambered in .204 ruger to punch holes in paper with. Super-fast bullets always seem kinda fun to me... and I wouldn't be shooting an Elk, so its not like I care how many ft/lbs the round has.

j

20. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status