Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I wonder whose network I'm using right now?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Oct 31, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am sitting in a courtroom playing online. Laptops are great. I have no idea whose network ths is. Can I get in trouble for this?

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the network is unsecured there's nothing wrong about it. It's their fault for not putting a password or key code on it. I was coming home last weekend and needed directions since I took a different route there than I did back. I pulled over in a fair size town, set the laptop on the dashboard, and searched for wireless signals. Worked like a charm and a whole lot more descriptive than a gas station attendant.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well the answer to that question can be found here: are you a prosecuting or defense attorney? :p:

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think under some new anti-terror or cyber-security law you *can* get in trouble for it. Avoid doing something illegal or questionable and you shouldn't have to worry about it. Not like you'd have to worry about it anyway...

Not that I advocate ever breaking the law, but this one is just stupid and irresponsible. Lawmakers decided to hold consumers responsible for ignorance that's been created by marketers.
    Companies should not have started selling products that could provide your average computer-ignorant "I want fast and I want wireless internet" with unsecured products out of the box. Homeowners should not be setting these things up without half a clue that it's not secured (I've never seen a label on a box warning the consumer of this, and I've never seen one with security already set up out of the box).

So while I don't advocate breaking the law, I almost think more people *should* use unsecured networks.

edit:

What are you doing in court?? Fighting traffic tickets? :D