Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I would like some help with tires.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Jul 23, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I want honest opinoins on what a good tire for street trail would be. Im looking for an all terrain and mud terrain option. I drive probably about 200-300 miles a week, so Im looking for a good, cost effective tire (longer lasting/expensive vs. short lasting/cheaper) in both mud and all terrain.

Oh im looking for 35-37 inch range and 15 inch rim.

2. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I DD mine and I am running the Nitto terra graplers. they do pretty well off road and are great on road. decently quiet.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had a number of trucks with Bridgstone Desert Duelers. They are a decent tire for a decent price. Michelin LTX or Goodyear Wranglers are better though, if you can afford them.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Agreed on the Duelers. I got 55K out of mine before they needed replacing. They were a lot cheaper than the Goodyears, IIRC.

5. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I dont think bridgestone makes a 35 inch tire.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Bfg Mt

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have never bought any A/T tires in 35" or bigger. When it comes to 35" or bigger tires, I prefer more agressive style tires, so I do not have any real world experience to give you on that.

8. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

BFG M/T's all the way

9. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

im running the durango m/t's i like the off road performance, but on the road they are loud and have little vibration but the vibration is there. they are 32" on a light duty truck im not sure how they would be on a full-sized. the best part about them is they last and they are cheep.

i would not go with the Pro-comp Xterains those things whore down so fast and where not very good for the majority of the wheeling i do and that is the mud,and sand. they where expensive . i was very disapointed in those tires on-road and off-road performance. :mad:

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a couple of freinds with the new Cooper STTs on and they like them good off road and good on road. They seem like they will last a while both sets I know of are on super dutys and they are wearing pretty good, although I do agree with MTchevy BFGs are great tires

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not the best in the mud, but my BFG AT's wear like steel. They are great on the road and trail.

12. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here is a little(if you consider 16 years in the tire stores little) truth for ya about your BFG's. have never found a worse tire as far as separations of the inner cords/plies goes. I would waranty more BFG AT's than every other brand combined. They are strong as far as the side walls go but they are not built well. I even(stupid a** mofo me) got talked into trying the new BFG AT KO's on my Monty. guess what 3 separated tires in 20,000 miles. I will never ever recomend a Bfg tire. Also the Firestone Wilderness Destinations, the lugs tear off really easy off road. even mild off roading conditions.

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ya can't get any better, IMO!
    Great all around at everything. Good mileage................gotta rotate 'em though. But ya gotta rotate any tire to make it last!

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I must be lucky. I have run BFG AT's for years with no issues. I am running 32's right now on my DD.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have been running the set I have now for about 15000 miles with no problem at all. I have run them on rock (Az.) and a Mud as well as lots of street miles towing trailers.

16. 76Hillbilly

76Hillbilly Registered Member

i manage a tire store in northern arkansas and for the money i recommend bfg all terrain t/a k/os they have a real smooth ride and excellent off road grip. i run 33x12.50's on mine and love them. and i have access to all tires if that helps. and by the way. ive driven mine over 500 miles in a single day trip and never had one seperate. firestone doesnt make the wilderness anymore it was replaced by the firestone destination, and the destination a/t is a very very good tire for the money. i sell 31x10.50-15's for 360.00 a set mounted and balanced. with no come backs.

17. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have the Destination AT's on my Grand Cherokee. They ride nice and they seem to do well in all kinds of weather. I think they are a little more softer of a tire then the BFG's though.

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Goodyear MTR's traction in any situation and great wear.

19. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

LOL, except wet pavement. They are not terrible in the rain but with the Detroit and just a little skinny pedal you can really have a fun time. I really like my MT/R's and I just put another set on the K5 but I would not recommend them for a DD that will see several hundred miles a week.

20. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

33x12.50-15's BFG T/A's On both of our Vehicles. No problems and GREAT on and Off Road. Had the Durango burried to the Doors in snow on Spaddle Creek RD and still managed to get out. My Brother runs those GeoLander tires He Loves them