Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I would like to remove all my emissions equipment Tell me How

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zimmstoy, Dec 22, 2003.

1. zimmstoy

zimmstoy Registered Member

How do I go about removing my emissions equipment, smog pump etc.... I do not want to degrade the driveability of my truck.

85 Suburban 454.
    -Scott-

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Do you NEED to pass smog annually? Most of the basic smog stuff doesn't hurt. I run what is needed by law and have no performance problems, even with a 305.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hi and Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    First thing you need to do is fill out your profile (information)so people know a little bit about you.

Second, was asked in the above post. Do you need to pass a smog test?

Third, if your truck (engine/trans) is computer controlled you may have some problems.

Fourth, any reason why you want to remove everything?

Ciao
    Chuck

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The only thing on the engine that is consuming any power is the Air pump. If you went to electric fans you would get more power back that the pump pulls.

The converter is a restrictive bead type. I'd swap it to a higher flowing brick style from a Late model 454.

the rest of the emissions are not hurting performance.

5. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I removed my emissions crap.
    Note that my truck is an 80' so it did not have any computer/sensor junk. As far as I know most newer engines will not run at all unless all the electronics are inplace and funtioning properly.
    Also, when I removed my emissions hardware I still passed with just a few carb tweaks. and some dry gas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think the emissions program is just a way for the government to aquire more of our money! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. zimmstoy

I do not have an emissions test currently to pass here in Austin. I am looking to clean up the engine compartment and gain access to areas that would otherwise be impossible (i.e. thermostat housing)

I am also interested in an Open Element Air Cleaner which will require some plugging and capping off of lines. The truck is a 3/4 ton. I did not see any catalytic converters under there. I am not sure if the carb is computer controlled or not. It is possible that it may be due to it being an 85, I will need to crack it open and check it out.

Thanks,

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A snorkled intake drawing in colder outside air will make more power than an open element filter drawing in hot underhood air...

Rene

8. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

to pass visual in austin you'll need all that "crap". emissions is coming in 2005. now with that said...i don't run any emissions on my but it's also a trailered vehicle. it does make it MUCH easier to work on, but if it was a daily driver i wouldn't bother.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are going to need emissions in '05, there would be no reason to remove it. It's a bigger hassle to put it back on than it would be to leave it.

Lastly, even if you can "get around" the emissions testing, if/when you ever decide to sell it, if it won't pass emissions, (either visual or sniffer) you've lost a huge part of your potential market.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

For the cold air yes....If the inlet is restricted and tiny, then not really....

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stock Q-jets on later years are restriced to around 500-650CFM, stock small block 350's typically need no more than 550CFM, and stock snorkel setup has been flowtested at something more than 450CFM if I remember it right.

So calling the inlet tiny isn't quite accurate. It probably could flow more, but just getting rid of the ribbed ducting and replacing it with smooth would likely get you up to 500CFM or so.

I think the stock later snorkels opinion is judged more on the earlier model stuff, which DID have a tiny opening.

Engine bay temps reach into the 180's, if ambient temp is 60*, your losing quite a bit of power JUST based on air inlet temp.

12. zimmstoy

In 2005 this vehicle will be 20 yrs old. Will there be any age exceptions with the emissions?

-Scott-

13. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i believe it's 27 years and older. i'm waiting to find out if its just a sniffer test or visual as well in 2005. if its just sniffer i should pass no problem. i'm in the process of switching over to propane. if its visual than i won't even bother and just load my rig on the trailer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I moved to Iowa I ripped all the junk out just to clean up the engine compartment. There was tons of stuff on there that I wasn't even sure what it was for. I couldn't see the intake manifold through all the vacuum lines. When I got it off, I felt a noticeable increase in power.

My 83 only had the ESC distributor with the knock sensor, but nothing else is computerized. The biggest thing to remove (that makes the most difference) is the air pump thing. It's huge and ugly and probably does rob power from your engine. If I recall, I needed to get little plugs for the exhaust and a new V-belt that was shorter when the pump itself is removed.

Aside from that, I think I removed the charcoal canister thing and the EGR. I can't remember if there's anything else. Somewhere along the way the catalytic converter disappeared, but you can't really do that yourself. I also disconnected the ESC control from the distrib so I knew what was happening. You need to tie a few of the pins together on the connector to keep it running.

Oh yeah, there was some junk on the place where the upper radiator hose goes into the intake manifold. A bunch of vacuum lines going to a temp sensor. I forget what it was all for, but I decided to get rid of it. You can get a plain one from the auto parts store with no other connections on it. Maybe it had to do with the warm air intake on the air cleaner. I went open element, so all this is history anyway.

This is all on my 83 though, I'm not sure how things changed in 84-85.

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

No offense intended to anyone...........but these are the types of posts that the Greenies love to point to when they say off roaders don't care about the environment. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    No offense intended to anyone...........but these are the types of posts that the Greenies love to point to when they say off roaders don't care about the environment. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The criticism assumes that we are better off with a ton of crap on the engine that is impossible to understand and keep running properly. Is it better to have a poor running engine with worse mileage or to have a simple engine that runs well? Nobody can really say whether all the emissions junk is, on balance, making things better. Even if it all worked properly, the mileage is worse with it on, and there is the pollution associated with the production of a ton of air pumps and cat converters.

Besides all that, consider that having all the crap off my truck makes me able to work on it, and overall makes me want to keep it as opposed to trashing it and buying something different. How much pollution and environmental impact comes from the production of a whole new car when the one I have is functional? This is no joke, because if my truck ever has to pass full CA style emissions, I'll probably sell it and get something new. 83 was such a nightmare year for pollution control gadgets. The newer vehicles with fuel injection and stuff are much more tolerable IMO (or the old ones with nothing).

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yes..about the loosing of potential market..this is true...my truck is up for sale now..and all the emisions crap was taken of it when i bought it..didnt bother me though becuase we dont have a smog test to pass and we dont even have NYS inspections..my dad does that for our cars..so it was no problem..we dont usually run any smog stuff/cats on our trucks to begin with...but im afraid i may have a hard time selling my truck when someone looks in there and sees no emisions at all in there...cause im pretty sure the truck would easily not pass inspection...

plus it needs e-brake cables /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

put aftermarket smog legal performance stuff on it and call it a day....
    anyway thats what we have to do here in the peoples republic of kalifornia
    and friends.....
    its coming to a state near you soon.....

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is total bullshit. I have made rigs pass emisssions without their devices when other idiots struggle to even think about passing with everything hooked up.

I have three rigs. All were de-smogged before I got them in some degree or another. The K30 which I'm cutting up for parts still had the air pump but nothing else. It ran like total crap. I am absolutely sure that my '84 in its state of tune could pass the sniffer with what it has on it now, and with the soon to be added EFI, it would probably pass the standards as if it were a new 1984 truck.

Emissions is such crap. Few other countries have it anyway. Just another government plot to make money.

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You have emissions in IL? NOOOOOOOOO, only one state away!!! Resistance is futile, I guess.