Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'am a Certified Jerk

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Twiz, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I\'am a Certified Jerk

I'am a Certified Jerk

[/ QUOTE ]
    I spend countless hours studying service manuals, wireing diagams, discriptions of operation, trouble trees, training and test taking.

I work till I can't keep my eyes open, bust my knuckles (and my ars), expose myself to chemicals that I damn-well know, can and probably will put me 6-feet under.

I'am expected to know and repair one of the worlds most complicated, ever-changeing, prized and deppendend on, items of transportation known to man.

I know peoples lives deppend on me and the job I do.

I'am a Certified Automotive Technician.

2. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'am a Certified Jerk

Good to meet you Mr. Jerk. Why are you being so hard on yourself? Do you think that you can help me wire up my TBI? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I guess I need to read the post about the ASE Jerks. Take it easy.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Eric I think you're living proof that you can't generalize about any group of people. Unfortunately there are quite a few crooked mechanic's out there that will tarnish your rep no matter how hard you work or how good you are.

If it makes you feel better I'd let you work on anything I own...oh yeah, I already have! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thanks dude!

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

This is why I and many others are getting out of automotive. You spend your hard earned money on a tool box costing about 6 grand, fill it with 25 thousand dollars worth of tools, break your A$$ studying and learning and keeping on top of the ever changing technology. You spend your own money and time to get all of your certifications and going to school. And what is the reward? People bashing you because some idiot messed up your car? The people who do take the time to pass these tests have more working knowledge of automotive than any other parts changer you'd bring your car too. Guys like me burn out because we know we deserve better than being treated like a garbage man and being stereo typed a grease monkey by people. Now there will be an increased level of class B or C techs who have little to no knowledge of what the hell they are doing. Who will suffer? YOU. Now you can have your uncertified illiterate genius fix your car. Labor rates will keep going up, dealers will pay 2 12/hr guys instead of one good $25/hr guy and you'll have to return 16 times for the same problem before they've finally changed the right part and fixed it. This jerk was smart enough to get out 3 months ago when I topped out at $25/hr. I still have my clientel but everyone who's attitude is ASE=nothing will see when more and more good guys get sick of this crap and also follow suit.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Well, Eric, there's only one thing to do... come over to my house and see if you can make it up to mankind by working that cute certifed arse off on my rig!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif J/K

Really, even furd guys have heard great things about you up your way. Pretty good rep, I'd say! You've helped me out plenty too! So......... thanks!!!

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Im one of them there ASE jerks too Eric. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I never knew we were so loved. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I take the business very seriously, I work hard, and do whet ever it takes. I make a good clean honest liveing.

When someone bashes my trade, I take it as a personal hit.
    I've heard that crap about "one-bad apple..." Bull!
    I can show you a shop full of dudes, that give it everything they got to give.

When one of my jobs, or one of my customers goes -south. I lose sleep over-it. Sometimes it really tears me up.

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    come over to my house and see if you can make it up to mankind by working that cute certifed arse off on my rig!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm there!
    How could I say no to the Mayor of Browstow? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Preach awn!
    Tell 'em like it is.

11. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm with you. I have many different certifications in autobody and glass and I take a lot of pride in all of them and I hate to see someone bash them because of a bad experience. The certification process is a good thing it help separate the fly-by-night shops yes their is going to be some bad certified tech thats why you have to check references

12. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i completely agree, i mean i've had a few bad experiences with mechanics, and i've had some very good ones too. i completely got ripped off once, swore up and down if i couldnt fix it myself it wasnt worth fixing, and about two weeks later i was in over my head, found a very good mechanic, and swore i'd never make an unfair statement like that again.
    i've been a part of several engineering groups that design hybrid-electic vehicles, so i can typically hold my own in a conversation about todays advanced vehicles.
    However, although i understand how and why certain parts are designed, i've never made any claim to being able to fix them once they break.
    give me a broken down car and if i have no clue, i'll give you a number for a good mechanic.
    hats off to the good mechanics in the world, without you, we'd all be screwed...

13. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well, considering we always own vehicles that are covered under The General's warranty, I have had my share of horrid mechanics- and I have also had some VERY good mechanics. I have 1 now, that I would bring anything I have to..even Mudnuri- which isn't under any sort of warranty will be going to him eventually..(he's gonna put the new motor in next year)...The point is, there is jerk's everywhere in EVERY position in EVERY company. There are countless idiots out there. just because I have had a few ASE certified jerks, doesnt make them all jerks. Half the time, the problem is the JERK behind the counter, that use to be the lot boy but they promoted him to GENERAL SERVICE MANAGER--- you know WTF... half the time, what my mechanic is "told" to do to my vechicles is totaly wrong, and my mechanic has been at the dealership long enough to not take any sh*t from anyone. If I tell him- can you do A, B, &amp; C to the truck, and the service manager idiot says do A, B, and E, the mechanic will do A, B &amp; C, cause Im the customer...

Twiz- if you were closer to me, I'd let ya flush my system's anytime., heck I'd even let ya bleed my lines, or whatever you wanted! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Brandy /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thanks you guys, Sometimes it gets me riled up.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Twiz- if you were closer to me, I'd let ya flush my system's anytime., heck I'd even let ya bleed my lines, or whatever you wanted!

[/ QUOTE ]

Brandy, You got it! Just clean the mud off first, please. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

ASE certified shop counter parts jerk present and accounted for here....
    Jim

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Right awn man! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[Rant]
    First of all, if all of the folks who got their ASE certification were as hard working and conscientious as you are then we would have a whole bunch of great mechanics out there that we could trust.

Certification in any field is a great thing but it doesn't prove you are capable.

I work in a little different field than you (computer stuff) and most people that I work with have some kind of certification: MCP, MCSE, A+, CISSP, GSE, SCP, CCNA, CCIE, CCNP, RSA/CSE, and many others. I even have a few myself. But the certifications only mean that you can manage to pass an exam that tries to cover the basic stuff concerning that particular certification. I work with folks all of the time that have all kinds of letters following their names on their business card but they don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about. The REAL test comes when you actually PERFORM..

You worked hard to get your certification and I'd be willing to bet that you would give me my moneys worth if I gave you some work. Unfortunately, not every "certified" mechanic has the work ethic that you do. Those LOSERS need to sifted out with the chaff and exposed as the incompetant boobs that they really are.
    [/RANT]

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

second that.
    in big shops though, work ethic is methodically beaten from above
    managment wants short man hours and long billable hours and dont care at all if the actual problem is solved
    anyone who has worked in a bigger top heavy business has tasted the 'promoted to the level of their incompetense' management

19. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I took my big rig in yesterday to a local shop because of a air leak on the trans. They replaced the air regulator/ fliter unit. When I got the bill they charged me 1 hr to diagnos the problem and .86 hrs to fix it. The total time I was at the shop was 1 hr. WTF They may have got me then but next time I need some work done, someone else will get my money. I would have fixed it myself but the trans is under waranty and needed a bill to send to the rebuilder. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif And it only took them 2 minutes to find where the problem was. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that is hilarious.
    diagnose? the thing with the air gushing out is broke!
    that will be $85 please /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif