Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'am going to rotate the 14-bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, Jun 25, 2002.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I\'am going to rotate the 14-bolt

Hey guys i'am going to rotate my 14-bolt what is the max deg. that I can rotate it to? Any help would be great. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: I\'am going to rotate the 14-bolt

I don't think there is a maximum degree to rotate these to. You can rotate it anywhere you want.

The thing to do is to get the spring perches removed and hung on the tubes, loosely, while the truck sits on it. Let the weight rest completely down and use a floor jack to tilt the pinion up to the t-case to the desired angle. Do not go higher than the pinion. A good rule of thumb would be to stay below approximately 2 degrees from dead-on straight with the driveshaft.

BTW, are you running a CV joint at the t-case end for the rear shaft? If so, this method will work fine, but if you are not running the CV, I would advise against tilting the pinion too high as you will have problems with the shaft. A tilted pinion to be straight inline with the driveshaft should only be ran with a CV joint at the t-case end.

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I have a bad drive line angle noise and I am not running a c/v I'am running 1410's all the way around. I was going to move the axle back 1.5in and rotate the axle up enough to help or maybe even make the drive line noise go away. See my truck is a trail rig and I only maybe put 2000-3000 miles on it a year and I want to keep spare shafts but don't want to spend $500.00 for each one. So now what do you think. Any help would be great. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. thatK30guy

You could turn the pinion up towards the t-case some more, but I wouldn't turn it so much as to have it point straight at the t-case.

Have it point so it's down about -+5 degrees from straight on with the shaft. At least with a little bit of downward degree, you won't have to worry about the problems from running it straight without the CV.

Another thing to think about: you want to keep the pinion down below the driveshaft line even under torque. In other words, when you apply the gas, the pinion is gonna turn upwards, causing the pinion to turn up to the t-case more. Try and keep the angle down enough to where the torque won't make the pinion go above the shaft centerline.

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Thanks! The problem now is when I let off the pedel the damm thing makes all kinds of noise. I know part of it is because how far I stuffed up the t-case almost level with the frame. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. thatK30guy

Before you go off and start torching and rotating, etc., find out for sure what angles and degrees EXACTLY are the desirable and acceptable ranges. I'm not 100% positive that 5 degree -+ is correct or not. Just some observations I have seen on other trucks and what worked and what didn't.

I do know you do NOT want to run the pinion straight inline with the driveshaft if you do NOT have the CV joint at the t-case end. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Yep I know you can't run a U-joint style straight. I just want to get all my ducks in a row first before I break out the torch. I still need to torch the frame where it broke it the box. I just started to pull off the frt. clip. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. thatK30guy

DAMN!!! I saw that pic of the frame break!!! That blows!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

9. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

It is worse than I thought I just don't know what to do yet. What do you think about cutting off the frame from another truck and welding it on mine?????????? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif
    Of course cut mine off first.

10. thatK30guy

I'm no expert at butchering and rewelding frames, but IMO, that's the last thing I would ever do to a frame.

If I were you, I would find a replacement frame and beef it up from there. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I may be able to get a piece of a frame as a template so I could beat the other back to shape /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . and matbe weld it back up.

12. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Does anyone else have any feeb back on max rotation for the ff 14-bolt? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif