Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

iam sure someone has done this already

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rerun93, Jan 9, 2005.

1. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

ok i just about to finish my scuba cert. and i know there is an abdapter out there but basically. i want to find an abdapter for a scuba tank to hook on like a regulator so i can air up my tires. 3k psi at your finger tips would be very nice for airing back up again.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i know boggerless is into scubba diving, he may beable to get a regualator as his work, you could try sending him a PM.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The fitting is readily available at most dive shops...plugs into your BC hose

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

How would this compare to the CO2 tanks - which would be faster/last longer?

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I believe if you compare similar-sized tanks (scuba vs. CO2), the CO2 will last longer. You're comparing a tank of compressed gas to a tank of liquid that converts to gas when released from confinement. The liquid'll last longer.
    But if you already own a scuba tank and are certified (for hassle-free refills), the call is yours. I personally wouldn't dive with the same tank I used while 'wheeling (abuse factor), but then again I'm a little paranoid about being dozens of feet underwater and still being able to breathe......

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

you have to show a certification card to get scuba tanks refilled. The low pressure port that powers the BC (bouyancy compensator) is 30psi. Releasing lots of air quickly (as in airing up several tires) may cause condensation within the tank, which shortens the time before needing service. Having a tank rolled and hydro'd is fairly expensive, as are the tanks themselves. Commercial co2, nitrogen, etc should be cheaper since your life doesn't depend on them being squeaky clean inside.

I've used my scuba tanks for "emergency" air for Years when I was doing classes most weekends...causing no damage. I mainly use two specific tanks for utilitarian purposes (air mattress, tires, boat tubes), and I save my good ones for breathing.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am certified and can probably pick up an old tank for little or nothing. After their "life expectancy" has run they are really not that expensive. It would also be cheap and easy to get it filled. That's why I was wondering. I agree completely that using a tank in this manner and to dive would be a bad idea. Just got me thinking. Thanks.

8. rerun93

yeah i wasnt planing on breathing from this tank just one for wheeling. but i wouldnt keep it with me inless i knew i was goin wheelin so with me not keeping it inside my vechile at all times the condensation factor should not really happen. thanks for your guys input

9. BURBicon

BURBicon Registered Member

Where are your priorities?

You're supposed to "buy" a CO2 or (I prefer) Nitrogen tank to air up your tires! You're supposed to "rent" the scuba equipt. Then you take the air up tank with you to the bottom of the ocean for emergency back-up:( . No, not to breathe! to air up your boggers and hang on while they pull u to the surface.

10. rerun93

yeah but if i have a tank for just airing stuff up and not to breath off of isthe plan. see i dont know much out co2 but i know i can get a tank aired up for 10 bucks adn i can do that my self i though c02 is alot more money