Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ice driving tips.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Jan 16, 2007.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have a k5 on 35's with open diffs.

Give me all the tips you northern folks got because I have no real expirence with driving on ice.

I know go slow and no abrubt turns and allow a lot of time to brake. I figure pumping them is best so as to not lock them up.

Will 4wd help much?

Will I screw up my truck by runnin in 4 hi on the street?

Thanks for the advice yall.

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if your driveline and u-joint angles are kosher it really shouldn't hurt to run in 4wd. IMO leave your hubs in and switch your case from 2 to 4 when it gets slick. Remember, 4wd will NOT help you stop any fast though, just get going so still leave enough room to stop.

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I wouldnt run in 4 lo unless your gonna go real slow. On ice i always just kinda stab at the brake pedal never pressing it in all the way. I kinda "roll" onto the gas to prevent spining when taking off. 4 wheel drive will help you take off but it wont do a thing to help you stop.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Don't pump the brakes, just learn to ease up on them a little if you lock the tires up. And take it easy :thumb:

5. hunterguy86

Does 4wheel drive help at all with handling?

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Pumping the brake pedal is ancient advice for vehicles with 4-wheel drum brakes. With disc brakes, a steady pressure is best. If they lock up on you, then let off and gently apply steady pressure again.

Also, 4WD can help avoid lockup, to an extent. Generally the front will lock before the rear, so if you're in 4wd the rear drivetrain can actually help to keep the front wheels turning. It's not much but every little bit helps. You still need to be smart and allow enough distance. How much distance is something you can only learn with experience.

As long as you're on a low-traction surface (ice, snow, etc), running in 4wd on-road is fine. Just beware that it can make your steering wheel pull one way or the other. MNorby's advice about leaving the hubs locked in and just popping in and out of 4wd is the best way.

Your open diffs are the best thing for ice.

Overall: easy on the gas, easy on the brake, allow for extra time wherever you're going and extra distance between your grille and the bumper in front of you.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yes and no.

It makes the vehicle more sure-footed but it also makes it physically harder to steer. If you're on snowy, icy roads, you shouldn't be going at a high enough speed to be worried about handling, anyway. :eek1:

8. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When stopping, put the trans in neutral. This way the trans isn't trying to push you. This only works with autos.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

That's the best advice so far. :thumb:

After a big snow and the resulting ice, I'm in neutral as I approach every stop sign and red light. If you have a standard, just push in the clutch.

10. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The open diff's will be a plus on ice. Locked diff's will help you spin out. Can you use studs?

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Where are you driving, anyway??

12. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

also in manual tranny rigs like my cummins I am generally running in a gear higher than I normally would. Luuging it per say. Then the power, especially when the turbo comes on, is delayed and you can ease into it easier without spinning as easy

13. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Mines a 4 speed and I generally feel that leaving it in gear helps me slow down. I don't downshift to slow down, but if the trans is in gear and the engine is not dead, the tires are not locked up.

14. 76zimmer

take it out to a big empty paved snowy, icy parking lot, and practice spinning out, and pushing it to hard into a turn, braking, accel. etc. Nothing to hit, and you get a feel for what its doing. learn to turn into a slide also.

15. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh I forgot one thing, don't forget to put it back in gear when the light goes green or you will just sit there thinking your spinning your tires and looking like a jackass. Just ask me how I know.:o

16. hunterguy86

Well to be honest. I was only going about 10-15 mph on the way to work. I was way to scared to drive any faster and knew it was stupid to do so. We NEVER see this sort of thing where I am from. Mud and rain I can handle. Hurricanes I can handle (dont ask, that was the chittiest day of my life). Ice is totally new to me.

Thanks for all the tips and keep em comin.

17. hunterguy86

I had to go to work today or else I would be going exactly nowhere.

18. 76zimmer

Thats a great way to approach it, until you get a little more seat time in it.

19. 76zimmer

We see the same thing every first snow of the year, people have to learn to drive in it all over again, the body shops love it.

20. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Here's a new one. IF you do slide, no brake/throttle, just steer the truck in the direction of the slide (i.e.- if the backend goes right, steer right/slides left, steer left). If a collision seem unavoidable, aim for the ditch. Unless the ditch is a drop off then aim for a car. Better chances of survival.