Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ice Racing

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BLZN4FN, Dec 16, 2003.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Anyone know who is in charge of the Georgetown ice races?
    I was thinking about getting the club I belong to try and see if they have like a open day to play on the ice.
    Thanks for any info.

Bo

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out their web site at http://www.iceracing.homestead.com/ The races are fun to watch. The classes with lesser tires and studs slide all over the place. The unlimited classes, that run 2-inch-long sharp steel spikes, get so much traction that they often rollover on the corners. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you go up there, bring LOTS of warm clothing, from head to toe. The valley is so steep there that the sun hardly shines at all on that area. And if the wind is blowing across the ice, it is bone chillilng cold. Plenty of hot beverages, soup, etc. are also a good thing to have on hand. VERY warm shoes are also a good idea, as the cold from the ice just soaks up through the soles of your feet if you don't have good insulation.

Another issue is that it is damn difficult to walk on the ice! To get traction, I get some small hex-head sheet metal screws, perhaps 1/4 to 3/8's of an inch long, and screw several into the sole of each boot. They dig into the ice very well so you don't end up looking like a Chevy Chase pratfall act while you're out there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Perhaps a CK5 day at Georgetown is in order. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Yeah... you first. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Jan 2 is there first day which is a practice/fun day. I went up on the first fun day last year and had a blast!! Basically pay the fee and jump in line, run the course, then jump back in line. Had alot of fun! Got to know a few people out there and we would set up races against each other for braggin rights. Im planning on going out on the second with a couple guys from my work. If anybody from the Springs is going, we can convoy up if you dont mind hangin out with a few dumb firemen!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Might need to convoy up anyway if I decide to take the Blazer.... Wait a minute it doesnt have a heater!! Might have to fix that... Sam /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Hey Bo,
    I have a friend trying to sell an ice Heep. Might be a fun toy... If you manage to get the group interested though, I'd spin around all day in my Blazer. Lemme know.

6. HarryH3

I talked with Sam yesterday and he said that he's planning to leave the Springs around 9-9:30 and stay on the lake until dark. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif He's in the middle of moving into a new house right now so I'm not sure when he'll be setup to go online again. You can recognize him at the lake by looking for a black K5 with tube bumpers front and rear, riding on 35 inch mud tires.

7. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, didnt make it up there Friday.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Was waiting on the UPS guy, telephone dude, and satilite guy to show up. Nobody can find my house! lol /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Anybody go up on Friday? or today? Later, Sam

8. HarryH3

Couldn't make it Friday and the weather sucked on Saturday. Not exactly the sort of day that I wanted to drive 100 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Do they still ice race at Rainbo Falls between Deckers and Woodland park? I used to go there in my sand rail and run the ice and always had a blast but that was over 10 years ago.

John

10. HarryH3

I haven't heard anything about it. I went up there in '87 to watch motorcylces race on the lake. That was downright comical! They corner like maniacs with the unlimited studs in the tires, but when they would lose it they could slide for 100 feet or more. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the guys on the bikes are nuckin futs. They are fun to watch though.

John

12. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

In the latest issue of Off Road Adventures (the 4WPW mag) there is list of events around the country, and a ton of runs listed for Georgetown Ice Racing thru February. I think I wanna go. Let's try for Mid-February. If your DonkeyPuncher ain't ready, we can run mine. It's totally run whatch brung up there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif