Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

iceman - or whatever your name is....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Feb 23, 2007.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

let's talk about your truck. what's up with the perkins? tranny? i know nothing about your truck - what is it, what's it used for, got a pic? i'm going to be willed a c20, that i'm thinking of turning into a k20 for towing and i think i remember seeing some pretty impressive numbers for power and mileage on your set up.

talk to me. :wink1:

2. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

X2....

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I got the truck the way it is, but I have been working on it and fixing the weaknesses in it for the past 6 years.
    The engine is from a farm tractor, the other source is Marine application which had a little more HP.
    this one is rated at 175HP 415lbs
    Max RPM now is 1800, can be safely raised to 2500-2800, some have raised it to 3000 3200 but that is risky.
    I have it in my K5 now with an SM465/205 12b/d44 3.08 gears and 35" tires.
    It was my daily driver for a year, week end worrior only and I was getting 30MPG, the Turbo ducting was broken at the time.
    When I fixed the turbo air ducting 2 years later mileage droped drastically to 25 but power went up.
    The last 4 years it was a dedicated rock crawler and did so just idling, I never touch the throttle, all I did was put lockers front and rear, put it in second gear low and just let it idle.
    It didn't do very well in Pismo in the dunes, the weight in the front (1300lbs engine) didn't help with the whoops and the manual tranny combined with the low RPM range didn't help pick up speed.
    Now I am working on putting it in a 2wd Crew cab dually and using my divorced 205 and make it a 4wd tow rig, I don't knwo if I will be using a D60 in front or a D44 since it's going to be just for better traction when towing, sock size tires only.
    I have now a gear splitter that will help me with the RPM range.
    By the way the bellhousing for the SM465 seems to be a stock piece, I will take a pic when I take it out of the K5.
    The K5 frame didn't take the abuse of a heavy engine, and lots of torque, it's stress cracked all over so I think this engine is better in a 1 ton.
    Unless it's just for towing then probably would be fine.
    Any more specific questions fire away.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

To add or clarify:
    I was using it as a DD at first, all driving was around town, just off idle all the time, it got 30 MPG.
    After a couple of years, no fuel filter change and now it was for wheeling only but still driven to trails, he highway ate my miles per gallon since it was floored all the way to stay at speed limit, and then on the trailo you don't get great mileage, so between fixing my turbo ducting and wear on the engine and highway driving my mileage dropped to 25, which still is a dream for what it gives me.:D
    I am hoping in the next couple of months I will put it in my crew cab and see what it gets me with the overdrive and the heavier truck.:D