Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Icey

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by txfiremank5, Jan 17, 2007.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Well, unfortunatly the snowline stayed just a bit north of us. I wanted the little one to see some snow, but it didn't happen. But it was a nice change from the routine, at least for us. Winter in south Texas used to be pretty good, but for the last decade it's been pretty laim for cold weather lovers. Anyway, it gave me a chance for some photo ops. I took some better ones.. but heres a respectable mix. At least the kiddos got to enjoy it. :D

My icey truck
    [​IMG]
    The Yard
    [​IMG]More of the yard
    [​IMG]
    Our road going out our driveway
    [​IMG]
    Ice and Branches
    [​IMG]
    Icey Cactus
    [​IMG]
    barbed Wire 1
    [​IMG]
    Barbed Wire 2
    [​IMG]

2. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

We had that mess a couple days before you got it. Not nice. At least the roads were still warm enough that they didn't stay frozen long?:D
    Where are you a FF at?

3. txfiremank5

In San Antonio's FD

4. TexasBlazerBoy

How long have you been on?

5. txfiremank5

I've been a FF for almost 17 years now, I got into the SAFD in 99.

6. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What part of San Antonio do you live in? I grew up in Boerne.

7. txfiremank5

I live out close to Helotes.

8. TexasBlazerBoy

That is my :bow: ULTIMATE GOAL:bow: . I have been a Vol for about 3 years*disclaimer* not saying I do what you paid guys do, but I sure hope to some day.

I have tested twice where I live, just can't do good enough on the written test to get to the Chiefs interview. I suck at math(not an excuse). I have passed the written and made the top 10 in the physical, passed the oral boards but didn't get the call for the Chiefs interview. Oh well just keep tryin'.

9. txfiremank5

Yep, can't get in if you stop trying. I paid about enough attention in high school to just get through. So when I was taking tests all over, I to had to re-teach myself in a couple of subjects... or do some serious refreshing. I started out as volunteer too, I *had* planned to be a game warden. But after going into my first structure fire, I quickly learned what I wanted to do from then on. :thumb:

It's hard to get into most any paid Dept, but it can be done. You just have to keep trying. I've seen people, who time and time again have given up after one or two tries. That's why they're not in today. :deal:

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i hate winter,but those are great pics.better than the Weather channel.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

and pay attention to everything you get from any department.my Uncle retired from the Garden city MI dept.his dad started it back when it was all volenteer in the 40s.it's a huge city now. anyway my cousin went threw both EMT classes and stiil had a hard time getting in.even though his dad was a firefighter at the time.so he put in apps all over. Lincolnpark called him for an interveiw and it went good.a couple weeks later he got a letter from the Chief to come back for another interveiw.well he waited and waited and finaly called them. the Chief told him they can't use him. because he obviously don't pay attention to detail or he would have seen the DATE on the letter!!!!:doah: :doah:

12. txfiremank5

I guess you've more than earned the right, being from MI, to hate winter. :thumb: Actually, I like it a lot less, now that I'm getting older. lately, (not counting this winter) it's usually been the best time to get things done around here. Last winter was mostly what normal people would call "spring like" .. :D it was great. I got more done in the "winter" than all summer long. I was actually counting on another one like it this year to get started on the K5 build, now that I have most of my parts list completed. This weather isn't helping.

Thanks for the pic complements. I took some "family" stuff.. some "for the record" stuff.. and some "computer wallpaper" stuff. ;)