Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ICF Insulated Concrete Forms, anybody use 'em

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uglytruk, Apr 10, 2006.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I have to rebuild a 150' x 6' high retaining wall. I'm reviewing all the possible ways to do it. Stackable retaining stones, crane/4000lb "redi-rock", call concrete form guys, or build it outa' "lego blocks" and pump concrete. Access is good, will post pix to-nite.... anybody have feedback? I'll be having a local contractor excavating, etc, and my guys can do the Insulated Concrete Forms.
    Been to an AARX seminar, so have a clue... :rolleyes:

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We used to use telephone poles cut to length. Depending on your application, it could be a cheap and easy way to build your retaining wall.

3. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Right now there are oak railroad ties. Pix to follow...

4. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Here's what's falling downnnnn...

A couple of views, left-over stones from another wall...

PH retng wall, steel door, rust f tank 008.jpg

PH retng wall, steel door, rust f tank 012.jpg

PH retng wall, steel door, rust f tank 006.jpg

5. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

havent used them, but then you are goning to have the foam showing, how about doing the decorative concrete block? ya can do keystone or unilock, both have prooven good in my applications, only thing is the keystone blocks are eaten by rock salt over time. another thing is doing a footing then putting in rebar rods upright with decorative cinder blocks, or even regular ones. if ya go with the cinderblock, i would run a perpendicular support about every 8' only going into the back about 4', starting at 1/3 wall height, and only brining that up to 2/3 wall height. so there is something holding the wall back and keeping it from tipping. also make sure there is #6 rock behind the wall with drain pipe at the bottom, with whatever you decide to do. I have seen what hydrostatic pressure can do to a good wall, and its not pretty. if ya want a autocad drawing of my idea, i can whip one up.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

icf arent really designed for retaining wall purposes. although im sure they could be made to work i wouldn't use them, have to deal with the foam (have to cover it somehow) and the fact that they arent designed for the job...thats just me though... They are nice to work with though

7. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

You may be right, as footer will have to be dug/poured. Requires 3 pours. Footer + 8' + 2' = 10'. Pre-cast blocks just require tamped gravel. Foam "looks" into far end of neighbors garden. we'll plant vines, etc, no problemo.