Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ID a T-case and a swap question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue71Chevy, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Blue71Chevy

Blue71Chevy Registered Member

truck in question: 1971 K20 350 V8 TH350 trans

ok the needle in the haystack search continues, the rear seal on my T-case is leaking and i need a new seal but the auto parts stores books cant ID my t-case i thought it was a NP203 but after looking more closely the only numbers on it are C-88404, i have not been able to cross refrence this number with anything. if anyone has any info that would help me ID it id appreciate it and i can post pics if needed. my swap question is: a friend of mine just parted out a 3/4 2WD ton burb with a 700R tranny and will sell me the tranny for $50 i currently have a TH350 tranny with the unknown T-case what would i need to intall the 700R inplace of the TH350 and can i use any of my exsisting parts and if not what would i need. oh and one more thing, im leaking fluid out of the spedo cable whare it hooks to the T-case its a new cable is there anything i can do to stop the leak? i tried a large amount of RTV in the connector it only seemed to delay the leak about 2 days. thanks for any help these forums are the best around!

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you would need to change the output shaft in the 700-r4 which means taking a good amount of it apart

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The t-case, if original is an NP205.

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Only some early K5's got the Dana 20, by '72 all TRUCKS got the NP205. Those parts monkeys must be extra retarded in your area.

6. Blue71Chevy

my local parts monkeys lack the proper hardcopy doccumentation to look up the kind of information i need. thier text based computer parts search makes a positive ID damn near impossible. anyway here are some really bad pics of my t-case and based on the poorly drawn pic of a NP205 in the chilton manual i just bought it somewhat resembles what i have. but i like a more positive ID.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

i was just poking fun, i work at CarQuest.
    and when we search, it shows the transfer case model. i searched my '69 and it showed the rockwell transfer case in the computer. also tried a '72 K20 and it showed the np205. i guess if you arent familiar , you arent familiar.

oh and that IS a 205.

8. Blue71Chevy

i dont have anything agenst part guys, i just remember a time when they had several books behind the counter with pictures and break down diagrams seems they have gone away from that or they just dident want to help me, either way i got what i need and the seals are ordered. on to my second question about the tranny swap, would the output shaft my TH350 has work for the 700R? or do i need to buy a diffrent one and is there any diffrent adaptor i may need to get for the 700R to bolt up to the NP205? will the current crossmember and mounting location be a bolt on or will i need to relocate and drill new holes? ive never been told to assume anything but from what i could tell the bellhouseing and tourque conveter look like a direct bolt on to my 350 V8 and the burb had a LT1 350 in it so i shouldent have to change the bellhouseing or tourque conveter but coudl there be a situation whare it wont fit? the 700R im getting from what i understand has about 70,000 miles on it the fluid looked bright red and it had the factory filter on it still. but it had a slushy shifting feel b4 it was pulled. i plan to have this 700R fully rebuilt with heavy duty use in mind and i like the positive feel of the shift kit thats in my TH350 so ill want that in the 700R as well. if i can provide the shaft i need and the adaptor (if required) to the rebuilder they will attach it as part of the rebuild. then my last concern is my shifting linkage, as we all know in a 71 the gear indicator is for a 3 speed i have no problem removing the indictor and the gear display but will the ring on the colum and the linkage support the 4th gear? i dont want to go to a floor shift as the T-case lever would have to be relocated and im just to lazy to move something if i can make what i have work. i can repair whats on the truck but i have never done a swap of this magnitude before. i dont have any tools to fabricate anything so i have to use what i got. thanks for everyones input im just trying to see if this mod is feasable before i start shelling out $$$ for used trannys and a rebuild and put my truck out of comission for a few days

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

then you have it... that is unquestionably a np205... with a 27 spline input, 32 spline fixed rear output and 10 spline front output.

j