Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'd Like Some Pictures Of Where Your Cage Goes Through The Floor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Resurrection_Joe, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I\'d Like Some Pictures Of Where Your Cage Goes Through The Floor

Like the man said, I'd like some pictures of where the tubes go down through the floor, from both sides. I want to build a subframe while I have my van gas tank pulled out from behind my cab.

If you just have a K5 the fronts would be great

Will trade for pictures of a small dog, my 1911, me eating batteries, me covered in blood, some cats, my boss, or some heavy duty mayonaise

Also, will .120/.125 2x3 work for sliders and subframe or should I step up? I have a bunch of 2 x 3 x .125 already is why I ask

Oh and also

Has anyone every built a bar over the top of the windshield frame that goes through the roof, or just welds to the cage if you have a k5 with a full removable top? It's intent would be that the wondshield frame and glass would not get bent and smashed in a roll.. I know on Baddogs his covers the area, but that's a little different.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'d Like Some Pictures Of Where Your Cage Goes Through The Floor

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I used 3x3 .125" wall for my sliders, I think most people use 2x3 .1875" wall though. If you already have the 1/8th wall I would use it. As far as the cage going through the floors I think most people weld a plate to the cage at the floor, then use a backing plate on bottom and weld the frame ties to that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thats what I'm thinking of doing anyhow /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I dont have pics yet but I can do up some drawings... you got any drawings to trade /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Resurrection_Joe

Drawblings!? Imvga askn for pictures man, not drawblings

GAHHHHH!

Back in 12 hours..... see you soon honey

4. Resurrection_Joe

Yeah I have whatever drawings you want !

So no one wants to follow in my tradition of running outside in thier underwear and taking pictures just to be helpful? I mean I didn't for pictures of this wheel ont heat tire with this lift with that kind of trimming on this type of vehcle.....

5. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I'm surprised NO one else chimed in. I've heard of people drilling 1.5" holes with the hole saw so you can drop the cage down to weld the top area. Then when you lift the cage back up into place you put 1/4-3/8" plate under it and weld the cage to the plate. Center the cage, then drill and bolt one of the matching 1/4" plates to the bottom, sandwiching the floor. Then to tie the cage to the frame, from what I've seen in posts, they are using leaf eye bushings and the matching tube. You bolt on a plate with tabs to the frame, the bushing goes into the end of a curved tube that is welded to the bushing sleeve and to that 1/4" plate. Sandwiching the floor the plates tranfer energy to the frame. The bushings allow a little movement and body flex.

Here's a photoshop drawing. Blue would be the mounting plates, Yellow the tube/cage, red body bushings and the brown is the frame /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

If your replacing your bed area, just leave out the sandwiching plates and the floor.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'll take some pics of mine tonight for you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I want the heavy duty mayonaise. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Sandman -

[​IMG]

Jjlaughnwhoozitz -

I have a plan for an entire subframe that replaces the bbody lift pucks and encorparates sliders, and it all sits on the stock 4 body mounts (the rear ones moved outboard to stiffen the chassis). It's really simple and rather ingenious if I may say so. It's amazing how everything measures out so that its basically a bunch of giant steel rectangles, I wont even have to weld to the body, just bolt to the body mount holes and the cage in front.

I will post up pics when I draw it out. I just did, but then I deleted it for some reason I can't figure out. Anyway. I wanted pics of where it comes through the floor in the front so I know where to run a hunk of 2x3 up to the actual floor of the cab and plate it so when i get my cage I can just slap it in. I'm making the top removable so no worried about dropping it.

I'm really excited about this plan, i came up with it at about 3am last night in the shop, I was in my underwear and cape sitting under the rocker panel staring at the body mounts and whammo!

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!

I'll get back to you later tongiht with a drawing in trade for yours

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

When I first saw that drawing I said:

"WTF's up wif that fish head?" /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

here is a pic of how my cage goes through the floor in the back suspension setup [​IMG]

10. jjlaughner

My new body mount
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was going to do something similar to what your taking about, give the truck a 2" body lift and reinforce the body... I ended up replacing it all /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have heard from a few people that you want the bushing at the body side of the brace and not at the frame side. That way it doesn't act as a hinge to bend the body aroud and provides better support to the cage while still forviding isolation.

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Ok, Finnally had time. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Not much here. Just brought them down to the slider mounts. Boxed in the rear body hanger for an easy place and called it good. Plates sandwich the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When I install my cage I'm going to hope it never goes through the floor, because if it does, I probably won't live to tell about it.

If ya didn't guess, I'm welding the cage to the floor. I don't see the need to tie it to the frame (I personally think that opens a can of worms that I'd rather avoid).

14. jjlaughner

I would at least, and am going to, bolt on a plate to weld the cage to. Really with the 1/8" floors I shouldn't need too but I'm going to. I would think with a stock sheet metal floor a 3x5 or 4x6 1/4" plate bolted to the floor would be a good investment for the time and money your going to spend putting a cage in. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif