Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'd like to get more flex and change my lift around, but around too what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 24, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I\'d like to get more flex and change my lift around, but around too what?

Ok.... when I do my 1 ton axle swap (which is gonna be no time soon by the looks of it- doh!).... I want to change my lift and shocks around. Right now I have the flex of a Honda. I'd like to get something going where I'll have some better flex and possibly a smoother ride. Smoother ride is not a must. I'd rather have function and flex overall more then anything. I have 6" inches now and like to say at this height. I'm not too keen on body lift but would do it if need be. I also have a double shock hoop up front. I was wondering anyway to keep this and just run a single shock up there? I could weld a shock mount for the second shock if I ever towed, because I do like it for that reason. Or am I not thinking logical and this ain't gonna happen so to speak...? Anyhow I have no clue where to go and what to do. I'm not looking to be cheap. I don't have a ton of cash but I'd rather pay something to get quality and know it'll hold up... rather then do a ghetto job and then have it fail at the worst time possible...

They aren't the best pics but here's what I have now (aside from different tires)...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'d like to get more flex and change my lift around.... but to what?

<font color="green"> Yikes, triple shocks up front! Get rid of two of those and it will help alot with the ride, you shouldn't really need them with tires under 38 or so unless you do alot of desert or dune running. I run 38s with single shocks and only have a fade problem after 10 minutes of hard running in rough stuff at Pismo. Triples are way overkill. The kicker shocks in the rear may be holding it up too, those aren't really necessary unless you ahve an axlewrap problem. Other than that, the easiest way to get more flex would be with a softer spring pack up front (I'd recommend Tuff Country, haven't used them but uinderstand they are real flexy) and one of the many methods of redoing the rear end for more flex. The fact that you tow limits your options a bit, but a shackle flip with a 2" spring should make it flex pretty darn well and will be real easy to do.

I'm sure the big dogs will come in here with better suggestions than my simple bolt on stuff... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

3. ChevyCaGal

Yeah I didn't put them shocks there. Guy I bought it from was big on shocks and chrome ones at that. While they seem to run fine in sand, on anything else it sucks butt... I'm tired of it and finally have a bit of money saved up over the last few years and want to do somethings that'll really be flexy and be functional. The tires I have now are 33's, I had 36's, and plan to either go to 36" - 37" maybe 38" if I can find a deal. I don't tow often. When I do it's for my friend he has a big horse trailer and we both do volunteer work and have to drop off the tools for the folks at the sites. That's once a month. Other then that I don't tow......

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'d like to get more flex and change my lift around, but around too what?

I'd like a super flexy combo please...

try a set uf tuff country fronts good for 4" lift with a zero rate. in the rear I'd run ford 57's with a ORD flip. and a zero rate there too. if need be add on a 1" body and call it good.

for shocks I would change the rears to a single shoch angled in. and the front I would go to a single as well.

if you need better control for towing I would keep the kickers in the rear and do duals up front on the hoops.

-Jeremy

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    if you need better control for towing I would keep the kickers in the rear and do duals up front on the hoops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or run those adjustable ranchos.

I know grim had problems towing with his stock springs and a shackle flip....57's would prolly be way too soft.

I think for the rear, if you did a shackle flip and ran 2" lift springs with the adjustable ranchos (relocated shock mounts), you're towing would be fine and your flex would improve.

For the front, I agree...going with tuff country front springs would be the easiest and possible not as costly as some other alternatives. Again, if you ran those adjustable ranchos up front with relocated shock mounts, you'd be pretty flexy. But, only with one shock on each side.
    I've never seen one of those shock hoops in person. Are they bolt on? If so, you can take them off and keep them. If/when you get to 38's and find that you do need two shocks, then you can put them on there again.

Do you have sway bar disconnects? If you want flexy, and ability to tow, then you'll need them. Be sure to get greaseable bushings on the sway bar. It helps a bunch!

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Oh, and extend the brake lines if you haven't done that already /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Regarding towing and flex - I put 4" Tuff Country rear springs on - instead of a shackle flip which most folks are doing - and not only does it tow extremely well it flexes pretty good with the Howling Off Road rear shock relocation kit from 55Willy, and coupled with adjustable Rancho RS9000's all the way around, rides nice. I wanted new springs due to my originals being 22 years old at the time, your's aren't quite that old but replacing everything from the frame down when I did my one ton axle conversion gave a lot of peace of mind. Front flex is easy - depending on if you want a winch or not will dictate whether you go HD or standard (I went with Tuff Country HD due to the M12000 winch). Install the springs, relocate the shocks a la Steve Fox (as you know, writeup on main site) and you are done with it. Should be able to get at least 800 on the ramp. In reality that is plenty for *most* people /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Steve got somewhere in the 900's with his setup (using a shackle flip rear instead of new springs) but if you are pulling a horse trailer, I would stay AWAY from the shackle flip - those are not light loaded with precious cargo, right?

Haven't flexed mine in over a year, but with literally brand new springs and NO shock relocation work it ramped 721 on a 25* ramp. Figure a year of driving to break in the springs, both front and rear shock relo's and it should flex well over 800.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like you've got some good recommendations on the springs. I'd suggest yanking off the entire triple-shock setup and selling it to a desert-runner. Use the cash from that sale to help finance the rest of the work. Install the Ford shock towers (about $30) and install a single long-travel shock at each front corner. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Just getting rid of all those shocks will make it ride MUCH better! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Here is a bit of an odd-ball idea, might want to kick it around some.

Reuse the 6" front springs, but pull the lower leaf out.
    - This would probably net a 4-5 inch lift, but with a slightly softer spring rate.
    - It would also give you a spring pack that should have more "free-arch". So, when the droped side drops, it will be pushed down with force, and not just dangling.
    - It might also improve the shackle angle, setting it up closer to 90 degrees or-so. (that is if the 6-inch main leaf is longer then the ones used for on 4-inch kits)
    - Also, use a slightly longer shackle. It might regain some of the lost ride-height and help the shackle move with the spring, not against it.

As an added bonus, it would all be free! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Also install the ORD spring greasable bushings.

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well with 6 inch springs have a lot of arch. The less arch the more they flex is the rule of thumb but there are exceptions.
    The shackle flip did cause me problems. Because of the shackle arangement It lowers the working spring rate. To get the truck to where it towed reasonably well I ended up adding 2 leafs out of the original 75 springs into the 86 springs I have. Right now It handles and rides better on the street after adding the leafs. It was just too soft and the shocks could not handle the amount of up and down movement the axle wanted to do.
    I'm running Rancho front springs that I feel are way too stiff. That said, my truck on the hwy rides as good maybe better than the Lady's bone stock 79.
    Now what my truck has is Rancho front spring (actullay 2.5's but they lifed the truck right at 4 inches as compaired to the Lady's stock 79.) Inch ORD zero rate add a leaf with the front axles moved forward one inch. In the rear I run a set of 86 springs with the teflon pads. I have added a leaf dirrectly below the main leaf and one leaf 2nd from bottom. I run TWO overlead leafs. The stock 86 and I run the 75's upside down. I find that it has helped control axle wrap and gave me 3/4 of an inch of lift. Straight flexed the overleads never touch each other but with a little throttle the bottom over load hits the top over load preventing a lot of spring wrap. I also run a 1 inch Zero rate add a leaf. I will be offsetting the rear axle back one inch to get the wheel center in the fender well. The Shackle flip cause the wheel to move forward a little. It gave me a total of 6 inches of lift in the rear. Even with the extra leafs I'm getting more wheel droop than the parking brake cable has /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I lost a little bit of stuff but it's keeping the tires from hitting the inner fender like it was before. I also have a 1 inch ORD body lift.
    I'm running 35 inch BFG KO that run right at 35 inches with no load. 15x10 rims with 4 inches of back space. The front fenders are only cut back to the inner fender. So far I have not scrubbed at all. Moving the front axle forward really helped as did the 1 inch body lift.
    I think I have found a good set up that is a happy medium between trail and street use. The only thing I would change is to loose the Rancho's and go with the EZ rides to soften the front up some. It would give me more flex up front than I lost in the rear once the front shocks are relocated. Before that last round of mods (where I added the leafes) when the front springs were brand new I was ramping 750's on a 25 deg ramp. I ran it up anthor ramp after the springs broke in for a year and I was pushing 900's BUT nobody knew if the ramp was 23 or 25 degrees. Both times my front shocks were limiting factors. The rear seemed to have all the flex
    On your truck drop the shock in the stock location up front all together. The stock location I garrantee will be bottom out the shock before the spring runs out of travel. If you can go to a single shock on the hoop or find two lightly valved shocks so they don't over dampen the front axle would do wonders for ride. A shock of the correct length is not going to effect flex at all. It only effects how much dampening force there is in quick movements. It's going to cause more change with on road than crawling off road. High speed off road is different so folks don't need to start bashing me here. If you need proof then find a good shock. Extend it. Try to compress it real fast. Then try to compress it very slow. There is going to be more resistance on the fast movement then the slow movement. same thing is going to happen when your crawling.

12. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

..I did what Twiztid recomended...It flexes very well!!..I also removed the rear overload!!..Towing is not as good...!!..I also installed the Ford shock towers with 31" shocks!!...I forgot if you had a sway-bar or not!!..If you do...Get an dis-connect kit form ORD!!...If you want to keep the shock towers....Just drill out all but one shock!!..Same look...Better ride!!!..One shock in the rear is all you should need also!!!...Just my .02!!...

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The less arch the more they flex is the rule of thumb but there are exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that time and time again. But I'm not sure if I buy into it anymore.
    I think that line of thinking stems from the old 12-inch springs lifts of 80's.

I had Stock-flat leafed 52s swapped into the front, after extensive screwing around with it, adding different combinations of spring packs and different bushings. I found that the dropped side was being limited by the spring, the spring would over-extend and hold up the axle.

I then swapped in a A/M 4-inch lifted 52-inch long spring (lots of "free-arch") inplace of the stock one and removed some of the shorter leafs.
    Huge difference, the articulation is far more balanced because the dropped side is forced down. The compressed side is about the same as the stock-flat leaf, mostly due to the lower spring rate becuase I needed few-leafs to achive the same lift. (kinda)

I know my example is "One-Of-A-Kind". But, after spending countless hours messing around with all the different spring-pack combinations, I really think that "free-arch" isn't commonly used to it's full potential.

Grimm, I'm not argueing with ya, you have my up-most respect. Just talkin' shop.

14. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

...I also think "flat" springs work best!!!..I have stock springs on my FJ-40 ( one leave taken out of the rear ) with a spring over lift!!!...My Toyota will out flex any off the shelf lift!!!...I also have my rear shock positioned lik this /__o__\ even at more of an angle as that!!..This helped out the rear alot!!..I also installed longer rear springs off an a Landcruiser FJ-55 ...The longer springs gave me alot more flex also...Of course ,with softer more flexy suspensions, you sometimes have to sacrifice road manners!!!..I had to add an anti-axlewrap bar in the rear because it was too soft!!...I know it is not a Blazer but all the all theorys that you can use on all vehicles!!!

..My Blazer has 6 inch springs front and rear!!..I took leaves out of the front and the springs sits more " flat " now!!...I built extended front shackles!!..If I would have re-drilled the frame and moved the mount forward on the frame..This would have helped out too!!...Check out this thread on Pirate4x4.com...They went into a lengthy discusion about making a Blazer flex!!..My Blazer is the on in the post from AZFJ... web page

15. ChevyCaGal

Well I don't think I will be towing enough to worry about making my new lift work for that reason... I'd rather make a lift that'll flex like a bad sucka more then anything. I like the ideas am gonna do some research on them! Thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're going to tow, I would be careful with shackle flips. Do a search on Grim's thread on this issue. Seems he had a real ass puckering experience with a trailer in tow.

I have shackle flipped my K10 and I will never tow with it again.

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I didn't read all those posts, but this is what I'm running and I'm pretty satisfied:

4" Tuff country EZ ride fronts
    4" custom shackle flip rear
    '89 rear springs with the teflon inserts
    +13" Procomp brake lines
    Procomp ES3000 series 14" travel shocks
    Ford shock towers in front
    Custom mounts in rear, angled in.

I can almost max these shocks out with my combo and with some hard trimming, they'll fit 36" TSLs without much problem. Just my experience, I guess I need to get some flexed up pics sometime.

Bryan

18. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Some general rules of thumb that normally are constant. A flatter spring will flex more that a arched spring. Thin leaves flex more than thick ones. Less leaves will flex more than more leaves. Longer Springs will flex more than short ones. Any flex you have will be limited to everything that touches the axles (brake lines, vent tubes, E-brake cable, shocks, trackbars, ladder bars, swaybars, driveshafts and so on, -sometimes even have to look at steering linkage for big front end flex) That said, flex doesn't always equal traction, but normally a good rule of thumb. Last but not least, I hate to be a salesman, but Marv Spinger's set up is good, and if you don't want the lift when accelerating, just make a quick disconect pin where the lever rests on the stop on frame. Just my 2 cents worth. I run revolvers and have no problems with them, but would suggest Marv's set up on a engineering perspective.

19. ChevyCaGal

I saw Rene's (tRustyk5) truck on the ramp with his new set up and think I'll do something like that and head that way.... cuz all I could say was da-dang! Now the hunt begins for parts, and to learn what I will need to do!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif