Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idea - 350 Diesel shortblock conversion to gasser with SBC parts

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Quack_Addict, May 7, 2002.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I remember reading somewhere, at some point in time, that a 350 Diesel engine has a much more stout bottom end than a standard 350 SBC 4-bolt main gasser. I also remember seeing that the jugs can be bored out almost .250" and via some sort of voodoo, better than 400 CID can be obtained (425 cubes???). Using standard 350 gasser heads, intake manifold and carburetor, the bottom end is strong enough to handle Nitro / alky / and/or pretty much any blower that's made.

Has anyone ever heard of this kind of conversion???

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

A mechanic from where I grew up apparently did a diesel to gas conversion on a 5.7L GM diesel for a pickup. I don't know much more about the conversion than that he did it.

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

It's my understanding that the 350 Dieselbomb was a converted Olds engine. I'm no expert on Oldsmobile engines, but I don't think SBC parts are interchangeable. Why bother with it anyway, when SBC parts are so cheap? If you plan on building that much motor (nitro, huge blower, etc.), you are not going to avoid spending a lot of money. Not if you want it to live, at least.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

As calcide said, the 5.7L GM diesel was based on the Olds 350 block. That's why they had BOP trannies in them.

You can make a pretty radical gas engine out of them, there was one in a Cutlas in Hot Rod a while back, 700 + hp, but as calcide also said, it's an Olds, so you have to use Olds parts.

5. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering. I've already got all the motor I need in my truck (until I get the BBC itch or a good deal comes around).

Aside from the main bolts not threading deep enough into the block to deal with the thrust of the crank for long (fix this by having a machinist drill & tap the holes deeper), I've heard the 350 Diesel blocks were pretty stout. I thought standard SBC heads would interchange... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif