Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idea for rear window w/soft top???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Apr 5, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok...here's the deal. I have been talking to this guy that I just met about making me up some skids and some other stuff. One thing I wanted to do is take off my hard top and go with a soft top. However I like having my rear window and would lose the use of that with a soft top. I was gonna have this guy make me a part if it's possible. However I have never seen anything like this and wonder if it's even possible? I want him to make a bar to go over the window. Something the window can roll up into. That way it can go up and be supported. Has anyone ever thought of something like this? Is is totally stupid? Or is it something worth trying? I was thinking I could make my own soft top. I know how to sew and have access to an industrial machine. I could make the sides and the top. Then the rear would just be my window. Then when I take the soft top off...I'd roll down the window and that would be that. I figure if I gonna go with a cage maybe this guy can fab this up? Would it work? Let me know if you all have any ideas or if I am crazy! Thanks!

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"
    Suck fumes Ford Boy!!

2. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Use some aluminum chanel and have it bent and curved to fit the top lip of your window...make sure it's slightley larger that way you can put in a seal....weld on some sort of mounting brackets to the base of the channel that will fit where the hard top ends and the tail gate starts and probaly drill some holes and just mount.....and as far as support weld a small flat piece to the back of the chanel (on the outside lip) and add some buttons that way you can snap on the soft top to it and in turn suport it!
    wow...not bad for just now making that up from my imagination!...oh hell I even drew you a lil picture if you want it?

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

actually i think that is a really good idea. i was just thinking about that the other day. i want a soft top so bad but i dont have 550 bucks to spend. the frame of the soft top would just have to either meet the window or be just past the window. i like the idea of being able to use my rear window. if you make this soft top and would want to make another and could do it at a decent price i would buy for sure. the top could be primarily one peice but the sides would have to just roll up or zip off. just make sure the top fastens to the cab with velcro or something, just not snaps. snaps leak. please let me know if you make your own, or find one that would work with the rear window. i would be very interested. thanks
    zach
    zachy_man@hotmail.com

4. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

I was actualy only talking about the rear window suport...and as for the velcro...well at hight speeds you might incounter problems...a nice lil tearing sound and LIFT OFF!! the wind ill take it away...well just a theroy lol and besides Id love to make tops and sell them but i dont have the facilities or the money...if I had bolth Id do it.

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have a rear window in my custom soft top shaped like a bowtie [for chevy wha hoo!]
    and when i get my rig back on monday i am going to be putting it on, as soon as i do i will post some pics. does that sound good?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My Kayline Fast-Trac allows the use of my rear window. It is not supported by anything, but I have never had problems. I can zip out the soft top rear window, then when I pull off a trail onto a rock road, I just roll up my factory electric window and it works great! It actually looks like it is part of the soft top!

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

7. ChevyCaGal

Who's making your top? I would like to see what they would want for that....might be easier to have someone else do that if the price is right....thanks!! [​IMG]

Suck fumes Ford Boy!!
    I love my country, I fear my government.

8. ChevyCaGal

Oh yeah....I wanna see your idea. Sounds interesting. Wonder if I can make that work? [​IMG]

Suck fumes Ford Boy!!
    I love my country, I fear my government.