Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idea for T case drop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Sep 20, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I know I am going to have to drop my T case when I do my lift and was wondering if instead of just flipping the spacers why not make some spacers out of steel bar stock. I figured on using some 1"x1 1/2" and cut it the length of the crossmember and drilling holes through them for the bolts. I think it should help the stability of the t case and keep the frame from bending at the crossmember. Reason I am thinking about this is because a few weeks ago I was over at Rodgers and we pulled the trans and t case from a Blazer that had the spacers flipped and at each one the frame was bent up a little from the truck being pounded on pretty hard. Also I can go with like a 1"x1" and make some out of 1/4"x1" so the drop can be adjusted a 1/4" at a time till it is correct. What do you guys think of this idea?

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

just remember the more you drop the rear of the xfer case the higher the front one raises... and the froont is much shorter than the rear one...

3. buzzk5

buzzk5 Registered Member

when i found my k5 it was 77 auto/203 had a piece of 2inch square tube btween the frame
    and the crossmember 5 inch bolt thru frame/spacer/crsmember it worked fine....swapped
    a 4spd std and reused the spacer still worked fine...even the clutch mech worked fine...
    i've dumped it and reperched my D70 when i upgraded still works fine....

jeeeps arnt real blazers ...

jj........i think he was insane, so i forgived him lol

Dave
    80K5 on ice

are they all spinning?????

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have a 2" in mine and I cant get it all the way to 1st gear unless I space down the shifter linkage at the pivot at the frame. I was gonna get some 1x2x1/4 box tube today before I put my tranny back in, and take out the spacer I put in the linkage for temp. Ive been told since I done this that 1 inch was the max you wanted to go. Now Im not so sure.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Wayne, thats exactly how my old Brown Turd was done. It had 1/4" spacers stacked on each other until it was down to about 1 1/2".

Each 'spacer' was a 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 6" long flat steel. Two holes drilled in each piece.

IMO, this would be better than using the spacers under the crossmember now. Wont flex as much with the solid steel stock.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status