Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

IDEA FOR YOU ENGINEERS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by purple89jimmy, Nov 6, 2001.

1. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

How about making a wind/bug deflector type attachment for the front of the hood with a mirror on the back side so you can see your approach? Sitting up so high makes it a pain to be able to see when your are close to a rock. A winch would get in the way a little, but I bet it would still help. I know I use my side mirrors for similar purposes. What do ya'll think?

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Use the force my young droogie! Got to get that virtual map going in the noggin. You got to be able to plan the 6-8 ft that you lose site of as you approch. Get osme chunks short chunks of 2x4 and throw them randomly out in a parking lot and practice putting your tires on them. That's what I did with the Lady. She can put the tires on anything she want's now without a problem.
    If it really bugs you cut holes in the floor board and put in some Plexi and you can watch the tires....don't laugh I know sombody that has done it. Stuff hanging off the truck is soon trash on the trail. But if you really want to do it just find a junk yard with school busses and get a kid check mirror off it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Don't you have BUMPers?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i'll spent my time building a spot bot. looks like a fem-bot from Austin Powers (with out those nipple cannon things) but will pick me perfect lines, and be able to hook up a winch cable and all the snatch blox i need.... and she WONT TALK BACK like my spotter (shaggy) does now. (love you man)

back to the drawing board

Tork DSR
    "Easy killer. That's technology you talk of..."
    http://www.torkpig.homestead.com

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

After you get good with 2x4's, try cats.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/23622937JIJjTHhZPo>http://community.webshots.com/album/23622937JIJjTHhZPo</a>

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

hey man. I only talked back cause you were getting all bitchy cause you thought that mud hole was the fastest, most direct way to get some authentic chinese food. And i did hook up the winch cable. You should learn to trust me a little more. Wahts that number 1 rule....?
    Anyway, ill take 2 of the spot bots. And i want mine WITH the nipple cannons so they can shoot the stupid kids who wheel in 2wd comanches that keep getting stuck in front of us. [​IMG]
    -matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    http://www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by shaggyk5 on 11/06/01 11:29 PM.</FONT></P>

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

brail offroading, right Pete? [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

8. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I had thought about the school bus mirror idea too! But havent had the balls to try it.....not sure I could bear the ridicule. My first gen is that ochre/baby puke yellow already and I'm afraid would look too much like a real school bus.

I've seen tube chassis with plexi over expanded metal but with the hood so long on the blazer I doubt a glass bottom blazer would give me much of a view...other than what I just ran over with the front.

I think the force is the only real way to go and I like the 2X4 idea.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

9. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

Oh...one more idea...maybe a bit spendy but some somebody has probably already done it....

How about one of those rear view cameras that RVs use in place of a rear view mirror? Turn it around and point it out the front.

Not sure it would give you the field of view needed as you kinda need to see part of the vehicle to judge distance and placement etc....

For those that run topless....maybe a mast mounted camera that would look down from about 3' above the drivers head? That might give you the right perspective.

I sometimes take my laptop on camp/fishing trips and run my gps through it to get full size map views...I could see a $100 webcam as a possible cheap camera option.

Of course....none of this is better than learning tire placement the old fashioned way.

"Luke...turn off your targeting computer....trust the force."

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Where'd that noise come from?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs

11. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

6-8 ft to remember in front of your truck? Try some 20 ft or more for mine! At least, I've got enough clearance that I can generally drive over stuff most people have to avoid.

--Rob (getting into the habit of sticking his head out the window, and bringing a passenger to do the same)

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Heck, why not just have a cabover Blazer like the old jeep pickups were? You would be the envy of everyone then. LMAO!!!

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/23622937JIJjTHhZPo>http://community.webshots.com/album/23622937JIJjTHhZPo</a>

13. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

What noise? I didn't hear any noise.......

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Crunch.

Pete

15. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

oh, that noise......

oh well. to late now. Whats next?

-matt
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com