Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idea good or Bad???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Nov 12, 2002.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

OK here goes..I have an OLDS 455 that I think would be cool to put in my Blazer?? Whata ya think?....Does anybody know how hard this would be to do...what would have to be changed and any pros or cons to this Idea?? Thanks

1989 350TBI, 700R4, 4" Superlift /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Strong as hell engine. limited hot rod parts.
    Won't be a bolt in. Bolt pattern on the Tranny is different and the motor mount location is not right. There are adaptors available and it can be done. If you didn't already have the engine I would say skip it and go to a Chevy 454. But since you have it go for it. we have a couple folks here with 500 Caddies and you might keep an eye out for them and pick up some install tips.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

As they say...."dare to be different!" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously, that would be neat and interesting to see anything other than a Chevy motor in one of these trucks. And like Grimmy said, a few others here are doing the Caddy motors. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. exodus

exodus Registered Member

the engine mounts will probly be diffrent other than that an olds 455 will bolt right up to a b.o.p th-400 witch can be found for pennys in junkyards (look for older fullsize cars last time i did the junkyard crawl i passed over 9 bop th400s) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool guys thanks I might try it. I am still in the process of building the motor back up as was mentioned hard to find parts for and $$$$$. Wonder how long these 10 bolts will last under 500 HP..........LOL /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would go for it. Parts are availble, more expensive, but they are available. And it is differant.

Ken H.

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if i remember correctly, SF87K5 has a 79 with a 455, but i could be mistaken. I would ask him to double check my memory, but he's in Afcrackistan right now. he left the 1st of Nov. and i think he said he'd be gone something like 49 days or so.