Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

idea to make 73 up springs work in 67-72

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Md mudder, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

just got a new to me 72 blazer the best one I have ever had no rust!!!! I've got it stripped down to bare metal,even the rockers are orignal. anyhow I have some 73 up 8" superlift springs I'm going to put on it from a previous project has the 4" springs that are on it are only 1" longer than the 8" springs I have. I have ORD extendes shackles already but I was thinking about the heep boomerang shackles to make up the difference.Has anyone tried this??

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

So which springs are longer?...it should be the 73- springs.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

don't know about that deal, but hmmm, don't jeep front springs mount solid on the rear and have shakles in the front, what differnce would it make if you reversed it and did the blazer this way? hmmmmm....
    also do your 4" sag? if not I may be interesed in them, any idea on the manufacture?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

How much tire are you planning on putting on this thing?

8" springs are a LOT of lift.

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

not sure what size tires I'm going to run yet I would like to run 38x14.5 sx but I'm working on trading my 44 boggers for a set of 39.5 boggers. So I might have to go with a body lift also.I'm going to keep the 4" lift because I will be transfering off this Island in 1.5 years and the shipping company won't ship anything with more than 4"

6. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I'm a little confused by your measurements. I just went out to the garage and measured the stock springs off my 72 - they are approx 44 inches eye to eye. The springs on the front of my 85 k30 are approx 47 eye to eye, thats three inches difference. Where are you measuring them from?

7. Md mudder

Md mudder 1/2 ton status

I was measuring eye to eye also but I don't have any stock springs to go buy. I don't rember my measurements right off hand but the 4" springs were 1.5" shorter than my 8" springs
    the shackles I'm talking about are the heavy duty aftermarket one jeeps ues to clear the rear bumper I think.My neighbor has a set he is going to give me.I try them out this week and post the results.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Did you measure both springs with weight on them?

9. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Hey Mudder just cut the rivets off your stock front spring hangers and move them forward. My 70 sub had 8" late model skyjackers with 39" boggers and it still needed some fender and bumper trimming. By moving your hangers forward youre also moving your axle forward 1.5" which will give your tires more room at the rear of the fender when turning.

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">The 4" POS Rancho springs on my 71 measure 4" shorter than the stock springs on my 89 K5