Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Idea ...Torsion Bar Driveshaft - CAN IT BE DONE!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, Aug 5, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Wouldnt a torsion bar driveshaft (properly fabbed and balanced) be very helpful; dampening shock saving trannys and be like a slingshot torsionally. It would build and release energy.

Amybody ever do this?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

but wouldn't that cause bad throttle response and take a lot of getting used to? Sitting on the rocks step on the gas and a second or two later it responds doesn't sound like my idea of a good thing. I know my K5's carb needs to be rebuilt and since its accelerator pump is messed up its not responsive at all and it was hard to get used to.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

give it a shot. what the hell if the write brothers (i'm sure i spelled it wrong) didn't try ?experiment. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am sure the problem I mentioned could be overcome by just learning how it behaves. The only thing I can think is seeing as the rear shaft would most likely be longer than the front it would be different torsionally wouldn't it? Differnt front and rear torque on the tires then no? Or am I not thinking right?

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sure, build and release torque..but then try to stop...the rear wheels will either overcome the brakes and snap the shaft...or you will just have some serious ass pounding going on when it bounces, binds up and breaks the tranny...