Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideal backspacing? (Fitting 39.5's)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Sep 1, 2005.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I'll be having a set of H1 wheels recentered in the near future. I'm going to be running 39.5x15x16.5 TSL's on a 6" lift. In everyone's opinion, what would be the ideal backspacing in order to keep the scrub radius down to keep the tires out of my floorboards at full steering lock? I don't want to tuck them in too close because I've got Bushwackers sticking out on the sides of my fenders (mistake... but they're trimmed pretty drastically now). What would be a good balance between looks and scrub radius? By the way, they're going on a SRW D60. Any chance I can get away with not moving my axle forward with the right backspacing and plenty of trimming? Thanks.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well I can't tell you the exact number to use.....but I can tell you that NON-recentered H1 wheels will not clear on a D60!!! :crazy:

If you do a search on this forum, I posted up a number of pics of a Hummer wheel vs. 3.75" backspacing wagon wheel and how each looked on a 14BFF (and I tried to show it on a D60) Unfortunately, the H1s hit the front tie rod ends, the caliper, the steering arms....basically everything.

With a larger diameter wheel you could run 7" of backspacing and get really wide tires all the way under the fenders... You'll create a boatload of problems with steering lock-to-lock (I'm speculating) but you wouldn't need fender flares to be legal.

Also, I think regardless of axle position you are going to have to make serious mods to the footwell area if you're truck flexes well (I'm thinking leaf springs here) link suspensions can control front-to-back wheel position much better than a leafspring/shackle setup.

If you can weld, why not take out a nice crescent shaped section out of the floor on both sides to give yourself the room? Depending on how much clearance you needed it might not be too objectionable from the inside..... :thinking:

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run 3.75" of BS. 39.5's under 5" of lift. Front diff is moved forward 1.25".

Rene