Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideal exhaust setup.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by riggz, Feb 15, 2005.

1. riggz

riggz Registered Member

Another thread got me thinking, what is the ideal exhaust setup to maximize horsepower out of an 87 350 TBI that will be pushing around 350-400hp. Not a DD so sound isnt an issue. What headers, cats, mufflers would you use? Money isn't a big issue, but I'm still looking for the best value.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

THorley Tri-y's are great headers. I like my Hooker headers too, they seem to be fairly popular. I would be a single 3" exhaust with a good two chamber muffler would flow enough but I am partial to dual 2.5" pipe and dual mufflers.

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am running a set of DynoMax Ceramic coated headers. Not the best. Ceramic coating is pretty much covered with md after 2 years and tarnished and have had problems with the bolts staying on the heads. Too thin of a mating surface. So No DYNOMAX. I do have true dual exhaust 2 1/4" with 40 Series Flowmasters and sounds really good when running right. Use to set off car alarms at idle. :D:D Not running any cats as well. Use to but the 210 and the 5 took care of that for me on a weekend trip.

4. riggz

riggz Registered Member

what about a crossover pipe (H-pipe or X-pipe)? worth it?

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hooker Super Comp headers, Hooker exhaust cut outs (for the mud bogs), Eastern Tru Performance Converter (if your going to leave the converter), MagnaFlow mufflers (straight through, not restrictive like Flowmaster), and a MagnaFlow Tru-X X pipe. That will be my setup when I have an engine worthy of the exhaust.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

THose are great performance headers but the standard comps have thicker guage material for longer life.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Worth it for low to mid range engine speed torque and they also reduce resonance.
    Ideal placement is to build the system w/o one and paint from the collectors back with cheap paint. Go out and work it hard. Put the x-over at the point where the paint stopped pealing off. Likely that won't be in an easy spot though.

8. riggz

riggz Registered Member

which model # magnaflow muffler has straight thru?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would not buy a aftermarket X or H pipe for a Chevy. They really dont do a whole lot for 350s. H/X pipes are more of a Ford Winsor motor thing. They work great and build good power on HO 5.0s and 351 W engines because of their fireing order.

If you want one, do what ntsqd said about painting the exhaust and putting the crossover where the paint burns. Will add a bit more torque and I think it sounds better with a crossover( H )pipe. But not really needed on a 350 for performance. Regular Dual exhaust is best IMHO.

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

All MagnaFlow mufflers (except for the XL series) are straight through.

11. riggz

riggz Registered Member

sorry if im a bit ignorant here but, whats the difference between the oval and round body style mufflers? any difference between the size of them? (ie. larger diameter muffler = quieter sound?)

also, what about the exhaust manifold? should i mess with that or not? *ill be rebuilding the engine around the same time i redo the exhaust*