Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ideal Temp?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Sep 1, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I put a new 4row radiator infront of my 350ci a few months ago and ever since the temp guage hardly moves. I like the fact that its keeping my girl nice and cool, but Im concerned about the winter. I thought that the guages were meant for the needle to run in the middle but mine runs at about 1/8th of the guage. It gets real cold here in Montana and im thinking maybe I need a new thermostat? or do ya'll from the North think i'll be all right?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

As I understand it, the ideal temp is whatever temp thermostat you have...ie a 180 degree thermostat would run at 180 degrees etc. If you have trouble this winter not getting the engine hot enough, try putting some cardboard in front of the radiator. Also running a factory clutch fan can help keep this warm. You could also use a hotter thermostat in the winter, but if the one you have works, keep it.

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I run a 180* thermostat in the summer and a 210* in the winter for snow trips. Sure it doesn't get quite so cold here but it should work about the same for you.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I run a 180' thermostat year round. I've never had an overcooling issue and in the winter it gets down to -30' Celcius(-22' Farenheit) for weeks at a time.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have the same thing with mine - a 76 Cheyenne 350 with 4 core radiator, unless there's something wrong, it stays about 1/8th too. Thot there was something wrong with it for a while. But I had no problem with that last year in Utah (just with everything else). I wouldn't worry about it.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a 192 degree 'stat and my gauge never goes over 1/4...I'm not sure I trust the guage that much but the motor never seems to get hot. I figure it's better to be a little on the cool side than running the ragged edge of over-heating.

Rene

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The thermostat regulates heating AND cooling, so you have nothing to worry about. It will stay shut until it reaches the designated t-stat temp (which is 195 stock) or it will stay OPEN until it reaches 195. (in cases of "overheating)

if its excessively cold, it will stay shut until the engine warms the coolant up enough, and then open. Theres a bit more to it than that, but the system is pretty reliable outside of REAL extremes.